Expectations?

What does your husband expect of you? (ex. Clean the house? Work outside the home? Stay at home?) What expectations do you have of your husband? (ex. work a full time job? play with the kids? help around the house?) Did you talk about these expectations before marriage or were these expectations a surprise to you?

Just curious.

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 7:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• we knew what we both expected from each other before we got married and i was happy to see that my husband does all he said he would do. he cooks, cleans, helps with kids, rarely watches sports, he would rather i not work and he work full time. he would like a more cleaner house i suppose but he doesn't expect much.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I knew that my DH would want me to take care of the house and family and that he would go to work to support us. He has exceeded my expectations though by also being an amazing father and taking on extra chores like laundry and the kids baths.

We both knew what the plan was before we got married, no surprises.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 7:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• The only expectations there should be in a marriage is that you both decise your a team now and the responsibility of the households, kids etc is up to both of you. You should discuss this before marriage before you get any surprises.
    desperateat48

Answer by desperateat48 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Our expectations have changed throughout our marriage. At first I worked at home, then I was a SAHM for 2 years. After I went back to work and to school our positions switched again. We have just supported each other and talked things over as we change and evolve.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• When I was married, I was a stay-at-home Mom, decided by both of us. I did everything inside the house (cleaning, etc). He worked a full-time job and did the lawn, snow, etc. He worked "regular" hours, so was very involved in playing with the kids. Now the kids are grown and gone, I'm divorced, but now I live with my fiance'. The expectations are that he does all the lawn, snow, etc. I do alot of the cleaning, but he helps with that. Cooking is about who works what hours. And our rule is the one that cooks gets to cook what they want, the way they want it. Works out well for us. I guess alot was just talked about as we came upon the situation.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• The only thing that somewhat surprised me is that I did the majority of the parenting and still do when it comes to discipline. He's soft and I'm stern most of the time so they try to go over my head and get him to give them what they want but he's learned to say "you'd better ask your Mom about that" lol
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 8:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Both my husband and I knew before we got married that I would be a sahm who took care of everything in the home. And he would work and take care of everything outside the home. It works great. There is no complaining about how much he doesn't do inside the home because he isn't expected to. Just like I'm not expected to cut the lawn or change the oil on the cars.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:31 AM on Jan. 19, 2009