Excesive eating.

My daughter (13 months) has been eating alll day. She keeps screaming for food. If I take it away she screams even louder, like someone is hurting her. She has never done this before. Any ideas why she could be so hungry? Usually she eats 3 proportioned meals and 3 snacks a day.

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's very very normal for children to go through phases. She could be having a growth spurt. I really don't believe that at that age a child can use food for more than just nurishment. I don't think she can use it as comfort. I would say just make sure she's getting access to all healthy foods, limit or get rid of all junk food and then let her eat till she's full.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 7:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• What do you mean by "eating all day"? Is she grazing all day, or eating full meals all day? If you are that concerned, I would take her to the doctor or at least call and speak to your doctor's nurse. That would be the best to figure if something serious is wrong.

Good luck!
    ithi

Answer by ithi at 7:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I bet she's in a growth spurt. Just continue to offer her healthy foods and perhaps try a bigger breakfast and/or lunch and see if that helps.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2009