How much is it to adopt a child?

so i've been looking on the internet but not really getting answers. so i thought real woman on CM that may have done adoptions could give me answers. I believe from the internet, foster care is the cheapest but i'm talking about in the country adoptions, nothing outside as i have an understanding that Visa's and need to be paid and green cards?

i know it varies from state to state but what was your fee?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2012 in Adoption

• Adopting through foster care cost you little to no money. It only cost you a lot of time and effort. Private adoptions varies GREATLY.
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on where you live
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 5:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2012

• the average basic domestic adoption is $20,000-25,000.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 12:11 AM on Feb. 19, 2012

• The national average just came out. It is between $13,000 and $25,000. We will pay around $20,000 for fostering. So no, foster/adopt is not always less. Everytime I post this someone posts back how "cheap" their state adoption was. I have spoken to many adoptive parents in my exact shoes. It will cost us double than the expenses for my son's adoption, infant private domestic, than to go through our state. But we are convinced fostering is for us. For us we have to fix up a much older home. DHEC would not pass it. Every window, every door, some flooring, and a bunch of other little things. But all have to be replaced. And the fence in the yard, has to be replaced. Funny, if we had no fence it would not need to be replaced. Can't take it down or insurance goes up. So replace it is. Adoption expences are as unique as your famy. I know private adoptions less than 3,000.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2012

• If you are considering foster care adoption, you should definitely get in touch with your local office, set up a meeting to receive sn information packet, write down any questions between then to ask the Caseworker that will visit you. Consider taking the foster care clesses to get all of the information you need and to get all of your questions answered to make the right decision for you, even if you take the classes, you don't have to go thru with fostering! Education is key!

We adopted from foster care, but went out of state, it roughly cost us $5,000... Most of which was reimbursed thru husbands employer.

As long as your home is up to code, the actual fostering and adoption should cost you very little!

Average domestic adoption is $15,000-$25,000+... Private can cost under $5,000 if you know or find an expectant mother considering placing their baby for adoption...
    TiffyTaffyApple

Answer by TiffyTaffyApple at 7:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2012

• Depends on on what process you use to adopt. Foster adopt is the cheapest. You can work through an agency and that typically runs anywhere from $10 - $30 +. You can do a private adoption (these are riskier) and that would generally cost your attorney fees, homestudy fees and any medical expenses that you need to cover (although, depending on your insurance, it may be covered through them).

Please feel free to PM me if you have more questions.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2012