6 year old with Bad Breath????

My 6 year old son has bad breath. It is all day long, not only in the morning. Chewing gum works for a while, but it comes back. I do not want him to get picked on in school (kindergarten), because of this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

BrandonsMom1000

Asked by BrandonsMom1000 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• it could be tonsils too. ny youngest dd had her tonsils taken out cause of bad breath, hers were rotting, she smelled like an old homeless drunk man.
    catngabsmom

Answer by catngabsmom at 5:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Does he have any stomach issues? Chronic bad breath (even with good oral hygiene) can be an idication of stomach problems.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• He has not had any stomach problems, that I am aware of. He did have sinus issues last Spring, but they have gone away. I wonder if it could still be related to that.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• i'd check out a dentist and the ped. b/c there could be some digestive and/or other issues that you just don't know about.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Just get him to gargle and floss more often, I have 2 kids I have the same problem with them and that seems to help alot. But if for some reason it begins to smell don't make a big thing of it you might give him lowselfesteem. just do what you can to prevent it. I like the gum EXTRA the spearmint flavor and my kids like it too it last longer and it looks like a glow color...lolgood luck

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Thanks, I was planning on calling his doctor tomorrow. I just thought that I would see what some of you ladies have done to handle this. I will try to get him to floss and gargle more.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Is he using a mouth wash yet? Our dentist recommended having our kids start with mouthwash at age 4. This might make a difference and kill any bacteria hiding in his mouth.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Make sure the mouthwash you use is alcohol free. The alcohol based ones actually make a persons breath worse later.
    Anonymous

• Thank you, I will try all of your suggestions.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Sinus will give you bad breath that doesn't go away, especially if you are getting an infection.

Our kids get saline in their noses each morning to prevent infection and that seems to help a lot with preventing infection and with bad breath.

Flossing, especially the back molars should also help.

AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2009