how do you teach bour toddler to drink out of a straw ?

my daughter does not understand that in order to get drink out the sippy cup you have to tip it. so we have decided to try a straw cup but how do you teach a toddler to drink out of a straw ?

kthruz143

Asked by kthruz143 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• with my son we just showed him over n over again within 15 mins he got it i know that not much help but thats how we did it good luck she will get the hang of it soon and we had him drinkin out of a straw before a sippy cup and then we worked our way to the nuby straw spout cups and then to the regular sippys good luck

Midnightrose666

Answer by Midnightrose666 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Just show her how. I'm sure she'll catch on quick!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• We put the straw in the liquid, put our thumb over the top and pulled it out (liquid in the straw)...put the other end to their mouth and tell them to make a "kissy face"..when they did...let the liquid go! You should have seen their faces!! lol

After a couple of times it kind of clicked...then put the straw back in the cup and they just have to work on sucking....but the boys were more willing to try once they knew something was going to come out of the straw! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I've seen someone on here say that they used juice boxes and would help them learn by squeezing the juice box so some juice would come up. It sounded like a really good idea to me =] I have yet to try it, but thought I would pass the idea on to you.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I just showed my son how to do it....same with a sippy cup..when he had it on his mouth i would just tip it up then he understood.
    coltonsmum523

Answer by coltonsmum523 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• My DD just seen us all doing while we were out to dinner so as soon as we put it to her lips she did it, and she was only 11 months old!!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2009