I'm in Nevada and wish to adopt a cousin's baby from Oklahoma. She doesn't want this baby and I can give him a wonderful, loving home. How do I go about this? Is it going to cost me thousands of dollars? The baby is due late February and I'm running out of time and have no idea where to start.

robyn976

Asked by robyn976 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Adoption

• There are many who can answer your question better than I can, but since it's a family adoption it may be that very little will have to be done. But first and foremost, get an attorney!
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• yes get an attorney,it should'nt be a whole lot ,since she is giving you the baby.Good luck,and keep us posted.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• You can also contact an adoption agency in your area. They will be familiar with this type of situation. They will also know all the state requirements - we adopted in MN. You'll need to get started on your home study right away so that you will be an approved adoptive home. Good luck and God bless!
    mnrock

Answer by mnrock at 8:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• My suggestion is to call CPS. They deal with kinship adoptions all the time. In fact, I am fostering my cousin, (hoping to adopt) and he is from Nevada so he has to go thru their system even though we live in New Mexico. I can give you the number to our case worker and I'm sure he can lead you to the right sources to help you out. Just message me. Jen. PS Good luck. That baby is lucky to have someone like you to take care of it!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• it shouldn't be alot of money. But the above poster is right, with kinship adoptions social services can help cut all these cost! Good luck!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• why do you think time is running out? nothing is written in stone that the baby has to be adopted straight from the hospital. Is your niece going to give her baby to another couple if your paperwork isn't ready in time?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 12:41 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• call an adoption lawyer right now and he or she can tell you what you need to do.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• my best friend adopted her cousins baby in 2008. she was born in February 10th, they took her home Feb 11th and the papers were finalized in October. would have been September but Hurricane Ike affected it. good Luck
    Alliegirl7997

Answer by Alliegirl7997 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2009