I have lupus and some days it gets the best of me--I take meds,but the pain just drives me crazy--do you girls have some tips on how to get thru the day?

Even some morale support would help if you have any.

granny5724boys

Asked by granny5724boys at 4:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Health

• Hard days are the worst... especially when you feel like everyday for weeks has been a hard day. Take some time for you. I don't know what it's like to have lupus, but I know that screaming kids or whining kids or just stress in general doesn't help anyone when they need a break. I learned this trick from a book that sounded dumb but now it helps me sleep better- Close your eyes and steady your breathing, then imagine you are breathing through your eyelids with steady slow breaths and tripout on how much your muscles start relaxing. It's amazing, and actually it's a type of meditation apparently :)

Hang strong, all us moms are here for you <3
    Hannah-Belle

Answer by Hannah-Belle at 5:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I have RA so I know you're pain! Try some relaxation techniques. Deep breathing and visualization, light some candles, take a bubble bath, indulge! Do something every day for you to make you feel nice.
    MrsP777

Answer by MrsP777 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I to have Lupus and it seems like there are more rough days than good. I also have RA and Fibro, steroid induced diabeties, and was recently in ICU for Acute renial failure. Ever since I came home from the hospital this time, I have tuned into what my body is telling me. I have started learn that I have to slow down and take it easy. I use to feel bad about not cleaning the house or being able to make dinner ect. but now if I am having a rough day I tend to take my self into a room where I can be alone and just chill out and the pain seems to ease some what, (It never totally goes away unfourtunatley), but you have got to start letting others help out. Trust me I know this hard (especially when you are use to doing it all), but stress is the number one trigger for Lupus ect. So start taking time for you. Good Luck and God Bless You
    shortcake23336

Answer by shortcake23336 at 6:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2008

• This unfortunately, is something I think about EVERY day. How I wish the pain would just stop for one day, for even just one hour. I just want to feel good. There are days I get upset when I see people that complain about the smallest things and are in great health. I just want to tell them to wake up-at least they don't feel like I do. Other days I am grateful that I don't have a medical problem that is even worse. I am grateful to be alive. The ups and downs and terrible.I try to manage my pain and my day. I just got fired from my job-budget cuts. I wake up and take my medication. (Cymbalta-treats pain and depression) and lay back down. I wash some dishes, and watch a little tv. After that I do some laundry and am absolutely exhausted. It doesn't take much. I just have to pace myself. After I pick up my daughter from school I help her with her homework and make dinner. I take Flexeril at night which helps me sleep.
    ofcprojanie

Answer by ofcprojanie at 1:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My mother and my Aunt, both have Lupus. I know the pain both physically and emotinally can be excrutiating. I dont know if you have heard of someone named Bernie Segal, he has all kinds of meditaion tapes, and relaxing programs. i know my mother used it alot when i was growing up, also she listened to native drumming which puts you in a "trance" of some sort, which makes you "journey" to a relaxing place.... I know if it wasnt for some of these, my mother would not be as functional as she is today
    Anonymous

• The most important thing you can do is listen to your body. If you are tired rest. If you hurt, manage the pain by taking meds if they are prescribed, take a warm bath, stretch (this seems to help me a lot). You are the only person that can take care of you through this.

I read a lot, which takes me away for a bit.
    MrsDavid

Answer by MrsDavid at 9:58 AM on Aug. 3, 2009