speech delay

my son is just turn 3 years old but he only say one word he knows lots of thing but come to talk he is just talk like little baby and he gets frustrated also and i don't understand also.i tell him when he asked something i tell word but he just don't get.should i worry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When my oldest son was younger he had a speech problems. We could understand about 75-80% of what he could say. we was all getting frustated when he would try to tell us something and we could not understand him. Heck he would even cry. i called early intervention and got him in a speech class. it helped him a lot. hes 5 now and in kindergarten and talks just as good as the other kids.
    Also it was suggested to us to make a note book of pic of everyday stuff so that if we did not understand him he could point to it for us. Then you repeat the correct pronoucnation(sp) back. We never did this but sometimes i wish we would have.
    also dont make a big deal about his speech problem to him. when you figure out what he wants repeat it back correclty.
    I cant say enough good about early intervetion.
    momto4boys03-07

Answer by momto4boys03-07 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• My daughter has the same problem and she is four.get his ears checked!More than likely he will need tubes!:(
    welltesterchick

Answer by welltesterchick at 9:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• if you have a childrens mercy or a childrens hos take him there for ear and speech test.. should only take a few hrs. and if he needs help they will tell you the best docs to go to..
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 4:49 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Talk to his pediatrician. He should be able to refer you to a place for speech therapy. Is English your second language? I had difficulty reading you post, I'm not bashing, but two languages my cause some delay. Have some friends that had some difficulty because of that.
    Anonymous