can beer induce labor?

have any of you ever heard or experienced drinking a beer to induce labor? my girlfriend said it happened to her and i was just wondering!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it is bad too drink when pregnant period no matter how far along you are
    Anonymous

• i wouldnt suggest it. ive never heard that but you arent supposed to drink when you are prego anyway
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Are you serious? You are actually considering drinking alcohol to induce labor? First of all alcohol is one of the worst things for a fetus and second, you want your baby to come on his/her own, not disgustingly given things that you KNOW are bad for him/her because you are to impatient. Don't put your baby's life at risk... It's sad that people like you and your friend get pregnant in the first place. You have no common sense.
    Anonymous

• Never heard that one. I would have an occasional glass of wine in my last trimester (yes my dr. knew and was fine with it) and it didn't induce labor.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 8:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Sounds to me like a question asked by a curious person, not a possible plan, so the bashing seems a little childish. On to the question, I've never heard of beer causing labor, but I would think that it could cause problems since alcohol would harm the baby and make t easier for mom to bleed more than needed. Overall, I would just call it a bad idea.
    Anonymous

• first of all i was told by my doctor that i could drink red wine while prego, but red wine is good for your body ingeneral. and yes the bashing is a little unnecessary! this is a QUESTIONS page, not a bashing page. i never said i was doing it, i asked the fucking question because i wanted to see if others have done! also, drinking an occasional beverage is not going to kill you or your child, your a litlte over protective. if you are a constant drinker, then there is a problem! once again just a question, but thank you all (except for you few) that are "better" than others!
    Anonymous

• It doesn't sound like a good idea but I've heard that if your milk is drying up when you are breast feeding drink some beer (my friend only drank half a can) and the yeast in it helps replenish your milk.
    Anonymous

• I've also been told that a small amout of red wine is ok, but as it makes me sick I've been sticking to grape juce, but as for the bashing....come on, I thought we were all big girls here.
    Anonymous

• ive never heard of beer inducing, but i would drink a beer a day when my milk supply would be on the low side..the yeast in the beer made my boobs engorge..oh and be prepaired to have a million other rude comments to this question..no ones going to see that you're just curious. and everyones going to act like their dr. Never told them that A glass of whine or A glass of beer every once in a while wont hurt you. they're all gonna assume that you're an alcoholic or something.lol.. GL
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• when my mom was pregnant and ready to be in labor, her doctor told her to go home and drink a beer to help progress the labor, and it worked. the reason why is because the alcohol in the beer helps your body release prostaglandins which helps induce labor. by the time your body is ready to be in labor, small amounts of alcohol are significantly less harmful to the baby. (this doesn't mean you can go and drink a 6 pack with your friends)

the best way to induce labor naturally is to stand and go on walks. this puts pressure on the cervix and encourages it to dilate and thin. as of right now i am in active labor, but my cervix will not dilate past 2cm. i have found that walking has helped progress my contractions, and they are 3 minutes apart at most.

but if all else fails, there is still sex and nipple stimulation, which can also release prostaglandin.
    bug_bugg

Answer by bug_bugg at 6:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2009