Question for Christians

What is leaving everything? I know in Luke 5:11 the fishermen left all their boats and their life there and followed Jesus, but what is leaving "everything" for me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anything that is going to hinder you from giving yourself completely. That could be friends or anybody that you associate with that does not have the same vision you have for following Christ.

Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 8:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Wow yeah, what Sis.Jackson said. I couldn't of said that better myself. *thumbs up*
    Momma.Mare

Answer by Momma.Mare at 8:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I take that to mean leaving behind anything that is "worldly" or material possessions.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Leaving your old ways behind.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 8:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Something else that is left up to interpretation.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 9:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Only you can answer that question for yourself.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Before Christ, people related to their own group. One's own "tribe" was everything, being cast out was the worst punishment imaginable, one hardly related to people from outside the group. This was true of all the groups at that time, but intensely true of the Hebrews - anyone not a Hebrew was a gentile. The whole world divided into Hebrew & gentile. Imagine the most closed-minded small town possible - that was the mind-set of the fishermen. Christ came to open people's hearts up to value EVERY human being - even one's outside the small town. That was HUGE, revolutionary. No other religion had demanded that. Love my ENEMY?? Are you kidding?? ... No, He wasn't. Embracing every person as a brother is what he came to introduce, is the consciousness Christ came to offer. It was SO new. And we're still working on it.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 11:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Laying down your life for Jesus, Totally sold-out for Him, surrendering all for Him. Like Paul said but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
    Loyal to God, Letting go of anything or everything that would hinder your walk in Christ
    yoli1girl

Answer by yoli1girl at 2:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• What Sis.Jackson said. It could be family, it could be possessions, it could be career/profession. We are supposed to die every day to ourselves, and live in and for Christ. And if there is something in our lives that is opposing that, we need to leave it behind.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 1:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It means that you choose, daily, to let Christ come before anyone or anything else in your life.
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 6:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2009