MY SON HAS A HORRIBLE COUGH

HELP ME???!!! what can i do to help him he is almost 3.5 and he has such a bad cough i am afraid he will not be able to sleep tonight. he starts coughing so hard he then throws up! help me please!

elithefly

Asked by elithefly at 9:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• warm tea and HONEY!!!! The honey will coat his throat and help with the cough. Also if you have a cool mist vaporizer set it up in his room with some Vicks aroma in it.

If you want to skip the tea just give him a tiny bit of honey.
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 9:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Agree with post above. Also make sure he sleeps on an incline such as a couple pillows under his head to keep the drainage from choking him so bad.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Honey and lemon. I mix about a tablespoon of honey in a cup and add a squirt of lemon. I'd give the child a half teaspoon as needed. I had my son checked out when he had similar symptoms and it turned out that he had bronchial asthma, which may not be what your child has at all, but I was glad to have it diagnosed so it could be treated.

Answer by Bmat at 9:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• NO HONEY!!! honey has a bacteria in it that can be FATAL to children under 4. during the day, he'll need a children's cough syrup with an expectorant. you want him to get that stuff out of his lungs. for night, he'll need a suppressant, to ease the coughing, so he can sleep. he can suck on hard candies (or lollipops or candy canes) to coat his throat, and soothe it, but the cough is liable to last a while. coughing 'til you gag is no fun. make sure he knows to spit that stuff he coughs up into the toilet or trash, or a tissue. the phlegm he expectorates is a protein, so it's not a huge deal if he swallows it, but it's liable to make him nauseous. it's going to be a long night good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 10:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2009