• In the Spotlight:

3 year old son

I have an older daughter and 3 year old son. They are like night and day. I didn't have nearly the tantrums with my dd. My son makes me want to lose my mind sometimes. He has tantrums, yells, demands things, whines. I hate to even take him in public. We hate taking him out to eat. What in the world should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Get a grip on the situation. You lost control somewhere draw a line in the sand, decide you are going to do it and never ever back off once you start. You announce to him. From now on this is the rules...and this is the consequence. It will get worse before it gets better. BUT if you stick to your guns you will win the war.
    Anonymous

• Do you believe in spanking? I swat my kids from time to time on their behinds. It usually does the trick.

Sounds like he's in the "terrible twos" phase.....it goes away after awhile. Hang in there.
    Anonymous

• Just stop taking him out with you. Or when he does this be prepared to leave the place you are no matter what...if he acts like that and you take him right home and put him in his room he will get the hint that that isnt exceptable. My husband laughs at me cause I'm telling my kids "That is not exceptable" lol I started saying it to my son when he was like 9 months. It seems to work cause when I say that they think I'm real serious.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I started early with my daughter. At about 9 months or so I started putting her in time out. I too tell her that is not acceptable behavior and it is not nice. She is 22 months old now and I have never had to spank or hit her and she is pretty well mannered. She says please and thank you and knows that if I tell her put it back or stop I am serious. She still gets time out every now and then, but for the most part I only have to tell her to quit or she is going to get time out. Then I ask if she wants time out and she says no and is good. THe hardest thing, you have to be consistant. If you say you are going to do something if they don't stop, you have to do it.
    StevensWife

Answer by StevensWife at 5:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I know some people don't believe in spanking, but I do spank. If you don't believe in that and it's necessary for you to go somewhere in public - be prepared to drop everything and leave.

Also, if you don't believe in spanking - try my mom's favorite - Distracting. Toys, food, beverages. Find something that makes him happy and always take it with you.
    lrobles1983

Answer by lrobles1983 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• obviously you can not never take him anywhere so...sit him down and tell him this is where we are going and this is how i expect you to behave. if you do this is your reward. if you don't this is your punishment. and go. if he misbehaves, stick by that punihsment. and the temper tantrums in public, wait them out. it cna be embarassing and you'll get some really nasty looks but try to ignore him and let him go at it. once he realizes you are not about to give into the manipulation, he'll stop. temper tantrums are a form of terrorism. kids use them to make you act a specific way. they know exactly how to get what they want from you with this the same way terrorist know how to get you to feel fear with that they do. this may seem unrealistic but trust me. i'm a reformed brat...not too reformed...but i absolutely know that of which i speak.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• spanking and spank him on the first attempt u neva let ur child get away with it he will get used to it and immune to it he would be like "Hey mommy not gone do nothing to the 3rd or 4th time so ima keep yelling cause she dont care" believe me this is how thier thinking i had one of these he has grown out of it with the spankings mommy and daddy keep giving him.
    vmommy3

Answer by vmommy3 at 8:51 AM on Jul. 19, 2008