Should guys meet my son?

I'm a single parent who dates and I don't let guys meet my son. Many want to and some other single parents have said I should because he is a part of my life. Well they know he is a part of my life. Am I being over protective or is it okay for me to let guys meet my son as long as there is no kissing and that kind of stuff in front of my son?

AedonsMommy

Asked by AedonsMommy at 9:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would not until you knew it was a serious relationship. I don't think it's good to have men/women coming and going in a childs life. (not saying that's whats happening with you, just in general)
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I wouldn't unless it was starting to get serious. It could be confusing to your son to see different men in and out of your life. He could also start to feel like he wasn't good enough for them to stick around. Another thing is, you never know what type of person someone is until further into a relationship, and you wouldn't want to expose your son to the wrong kind of guy.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 9:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I was a single mother and I never let any of my "boyfriends" meet my son. My DH didn't meet my son until we were together almost 6 months and I was fairly certain that he was the one. I didn't want too many men coming in and out of my son's life. His BD already had/has women coming in and out of his children's lives and I didn't want to add to that nonsense. You are very wise in your decision. My son has only known my DH as my significant other and I love that fact.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 9:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• i think it depends on your child and what you are going to be doing. honestly, the guy im dating has met my son, we havent been together that long. My BF als has kids so we all go the park or the zoo or whatever. theres no making out or anything like that. my son is younger than yours but as far as hes concerned my BF is just a dude to jump all over who supplies him with a few playmates every once in awhile.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I think you are doing the right thing. When you are serious about a guy, when you are pretty certain it could go somewhere, that's the time to let them meet. Otherwise, these are just guys drifting in and out of his life. He may even get attached to one of them - then what happens when you break-up?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:30 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• im a single mom, and i've let a couple guys meet my daughter. i dont make it that big of a deal tho...to her, theyre just my friends, she never sees us kissing, huggin, holding hands etc, i never let them spend the night, they do come over to watch movies or whatever..but they leave. and my daughter gets along with them great, theyre just another person to play with to her. i mean im not gonna being home every tom, dick or harry that i meet..but..i use my own discretion..and so far its been perfectly fine
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:45 AM on Jan. 19, 2009