Drinking and Breastfeeding....okay?

I had a social drink with some of my girlfriends tonight (not even a full glass). I thought it would be okay, because it was only Arbor Mist, but then one of my friends mentioned that it wasn't okay to breastfeed after drinking, even as little as I did drink... but I'm not sure...My little girl is 2 months old, and I don't want to do anything that would possibly hurt her...What do you all think?

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 9:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IF you are okay to drive, you are okay to breastfeed. A glass of wine or one beer will not hurt.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• You are fine and so is your baby! You can drink A LITTLE bit, nothing heavy. Keep nursing mama, as long as your are not double fisting it, you should be fine, and probably by now, you have metabolized whatever you drank and it will not make it to your milk. I had probably close to 4 oz of a margarita at New Year's Eve and was fine, baby boy (who is almost 5 months old) never missed a beat.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 9:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I drank while breastfeeding....maybe that's why my kids are so loud and wild!
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• It's always nerve-wracking to have that first drink while nursing. You are definitely fine after 1 drink! I've found that I actually get more milk after having a drink. I think because it relaxing your body and takes away some of that unnecessary stress!
    GinaNewMom2008

Answer by GinaNewMom2008 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• GinaNewMom,
    In regards to drinking and producing more milk, Guinness Beer was first introduced as a beverage for nursing mothers and children. It's the yeast that helps with milk production.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Interesting - i never thought to look into why it helps. makes sense...
    GinaNewMom2008

Answer by GinaNewMom2008 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Oh my, I can't believe people drink when nursing. This astounds me. My dd is allergic to milk and if I have the teeniest taste of anything with the teeniest amount of milk product there is blood in her stools. So I'm sure the alcohol gets to the baby. Why would you even risk it? Your milk is what you drink/eat. Would you give your 2 year old a sippy cup of milk with a bit of alcohol?
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 10:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Hmm, just as you can't believe people drink while nursing, I can't believe how rude some people are when they answer a question from someone who is truely worried...to each his own my dear, to each his own. By the way, have you ever thought that maybe you should keep your negative opinions to yourself, and just try to give an answer that maybe helpful... The Golden Rule, ever heard of it? Would you expect me or anyone else to leave such a rude comment to one of your questions??? Do you realize that you've basically suggested that I am a bad mother...one line you do not want to cross... Think about what you write, before you type it!!!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 10:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• 1-2 drinks is fine. More then that, wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again. No need to pump and dump. The only thing that rids the milk of alcohol is time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Save to drive, safe to nurse. Unsafe to drive, unsafe to nurse.

Pumping and dumping is ONLY necessary when you need to pump or nurse to keep your supply up due to low supply or to relieve engorgement. Otherwise, just wait.

Just as your body filters the alcohol from your blood it filters it from the milk. You don't have to drain your milk anymore than you have to drain your blood. :)
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 10:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2009