Is this fair?

Okay, so there have been several questions asking about having to pay higher taxes because this person is better off financially than most. My question is this - is it fair that Congress only has to put in 4 years of service and get the best medical and retirement benefits, being set for life? Is it fair that Congress can vote in their own raises while the general public (well, most of them) can't even get a COLA raise? No, it's not fair, but then again, I have no desire to become a Congresswoman, so that's my bad, I guess, and shouldn't have a right to complain, huh?

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That comes with the job I suppose. I may not be "fair" but that is a part of their benefits package.

Don't complain to us. We can't do anything about that. Complain to your representatives and Senator(s).
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• i agree, take it up with the representatives and senators.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I'm not complaining and doing so to the reps won't change it, anyhow. This question is merely to show that while some people who make more money than others are taxed higher and like to complain about it, well, that's life. It isn't fair, but life isn't fair, either.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Yes, it's fair. If they can't take that action, there's no one else that can. Our country has it's priorities way out of whack. A football player can put in a few months work and earn millions, and no one bats an eye. The people that make the laws of the land, try to balance our budgets, etc make less than $200,000. The President only makes $400K. That's messed up.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I assume COlA has something to do with cost of living?
    You can get a COLA.
    Get a second job, or the 1st one.
    Years ago, that's how people got a COLA
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• COLA stands for cost of living allowance, which means a typical 2-3% pay raise each year to keep up with the rising costs of healthcare and whatever. How can I get a second job when my current job already has me working 50 or more hours per week, along with having to take care of a family, house, etc.? And, have you checked the job market, lately? There is nothing out there - not even McDonald's! I was told when looking for a second job recently that because I am already employed full-time, and because I cannot give them the flexible hours they need, I was not qualified.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• If you want the benefits go work in Congress! I have similar benefits. Where I work you have to do 5 years to be vested. Even if I decided to leave my job, my retirement would still be there when I am ready and I would have health care benefits when I retire. It is all in the decisions that you make.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• well if ur going to complain OP you should right a journal about it... but i do think this is wrong... so much of our government is crooked... they don't care about the people...only themselves... i say kick all the old farts out and let the newer generations take over....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I think while they sit there and fight against SCHIP and better benefits for the veterans who return from the wars they authorized, they should not be entitled to their own benefits. How can they deny a child coverage while we fund their retirements and a very great medical package? They are all only in it for themselves, no matter what they tell their constituents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Jan. 19, 2009