Is my daughter weird?

My daughter is 14 months old and has started touching herself in the diaper area. She does it any time her diaper is off but exspecially in the shower. Should I let her do this or make her stop. I don't know if she is just trying to figure out what is down there or if she likes it. I have heard that some babies do that but I don't know if this is bad. Help I am a little freaked out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's just trying to figure it out. It's just another body part to her, and the only time she gets to check it out is when the diaper is off. If they play with their toes, nobody thinks twice about it. It's really the same thing.
    Cadreysmom

Answer by Cadreysmom at 4:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• LMAO....sorry...not laughing at you...only laughing with you. That's totally normal. It's up to you whether or not you make her stop.

I have two boys and a girl - and I non-chalantly ask the boys to quit touching their privates. I don't actually care that they do it but my two year old will keep doing it for long periods of time if I don't stop him (note: My two year old is autistic).

Good luck.
    lrobles1983

Answer by lrobles1983 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• When my son was about 5 months old he would grab his pee pee in the bath tub and smile. It is normal, they are just trying to figure out their own bodies.
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 5:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• That is totally normal...my 18 month touches it while I change her diaper and laughs!! I usually just casually tell her no no thats yucky no touchy. lol If you wanted my exact words.
    I tell my 3 and 5 year olds if they want to touch their priviates they need to do it in priviate.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My 22 month old daughter does the same thing. I didn't want to discourage her because I felt it would make her think her body was bad or she was doing something wrong. Instead I explained to her what it is. Now when I take her diaper off she takes a wipe and wipes herself. It will make it that much easier for potty training. Hope this helps.
    StevensWife

Answer by StevensWife at 5:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• It is very normal for toddlers to touch their privates. Even at such a young age, you should let her know that its not appropriate to do in front of others. She may be too young to understand but she soon will. Just keep reminding her. Every so often I still remind my 8, 9 and 11 yo boys not to play with their "junk" (as we call it:)) in public.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 5:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Absolutly normal. I know not many moms talk about it directly but in fact most children, male and female masterbate when they find out what they've got going down there. Nature intended it to feel good or else humans wouldn't reproduce, so if you just found a spot on your body that feels good to touch, wouldn't you want to explore it? If you'r uncomfortable with her doing it in public just try to explain that it's a private area that other people don't need to see you touching. But don't scold her, because it's not wise to teach her to be uncomfortable with herself. A soon as she's comfortable with what she's discovvered, she'll stop playing with herself so much. It's just her way of learning her body.
    Hannah-Belle

Answer by Hannah-Belle at 5:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• This is normal. As far as she is concerned, it's no different than exploring her fingers and toes. You didn't freak out over that did you?
    As she gets older, teach her that it's OK to explore her body but she needs to do it in private and wash her hands afterwards just like she washes her hands after going potty.
    For now, you'll just have to grin and bear it if she does it in public.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• All babies do this. The best thing to do is not make a big deal about it. If it's a big deal to you it's a big deal to her. Kind of like when they find there feet.
    HesMyLife22508

Answer by HesMyLife22508 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• its normal. just as they explore the other body parts as innocent as the ears or the toys, the genitals are also part of the natural body. let her explore, but try to teach her thats its only in the tub she can do that, that its a private area for her and you(and daddy, maybe, and the doctor to deal with. soon the exploration should stop and youll have one of those "talks" in a few years when she understands better.
    briyeti

Answer by briyeti at 10:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2008