Anyone have four or more kids living with you, and your house is clean and picked up?

Ok, I have 5 kids and my house is really pretty clean. My problem is that I have to constantly be cleaning. I almost don't get a chance to rest. I know this is probably pretty normal for such a big family, but hey, I am just trying to fine tune my technique. Yes, the kids all pitch in, but even they are tired of always having to work. If there is someone out there with more experience or a better technique, please share. I have tried to relax and just "let it go", but I actually find that I can't do that. A messy house gets me depressed and anxious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I have one and my house is never picked up. I used to get upset about it. Decided that it wasn't worth it.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:52 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• You know I never thought of it that way when I do clean up I  have like this high spirit of me. Thanks for that. :)

And you are right it helps when the kids pitch in, I too don't like a messy home but sometimes I let it slide but after hearing what you just said I am going to change. Sometimes you don't think of things until someone brings it up.sweepingbow downThank you

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• LOL. I have 3 kids, and no the house is never exactly spotless but we do a pretty good job of having it presentable. I was given the tip of whenever you are leaving a room, pick up something that belongs in the room you are going into and return it. It helps. Often say if I am on my way to the bathroom, I can find hairbands or a brush or something in the livign room from doing my daughter's hair. If I'm going to my boys room, I will take any of their items that they leave in the living room. It works out pretty well.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:56 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• We have 6 people living in our house - it's clean when I go to bed at night, but when I get up in the morning..... disaster! the older boys stay up playing video games and every glass in the house is dirty! guess who's doing the dishes today :-) It ain't me, i can tell you that.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:26 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I am so sorry. I believe if you want to keep your house clean as you do there are no shortcuts or easy techniques. I was raised in a home with five children. My mother did not get any rest ever.  One thing that worked for her is that she stuck to a very strict schedule. Monday, she washed laundry, Tuesday, ironing, etc.  As we got older, we reluctantly helped her, but not as much as she needed. . As an aside, some how our mother trained us to pick up our own things and put them away after use. We also had to put shared household items back where they belonged...scissors in the same place, etc. I am still working on this with myself, my daughter and husband. Labels seem to  help us..

laura0401

Answer by laura0401 at 9:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I have 3 kids and there is always something out that needs to be picked up or a table or counter top that needs to be wiped, or a floor that should be swept. Just relax and spend more time with the kids. Try to delegate chores like--you clean the shoes up and arrange them. I'm big with that, and I give a baby wipe and have may almost 5 year old to wipe down the cabinets.  The little things do help.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:18 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• We have a chore chart, they know if they see their name by it they have to do it. I have told them they are part of a unit and if we dont' all work together then everything gets off track. They have their room, and then whats on the chart. It makes them feel good when they know they have a "job" to do and they get praise when they do well at it! (Even if my 5 yr old puts the towels away and they all fall over in the cabinet,lol) At least they made it there!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I have 2 and my house is not always clean and my kids have chores too.
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2009