Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


I just got my W2 from my employer today and I noticed that there were not any federal taxes withheld. I only made right under $3000 due to the fact that I only worked 4 months last year. Can anyone tell me if this is a reason to be alarmed????????????

Answer Question

Asked by dawnmitchell at 9:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • If you are single, the standard deduction is over $5,000 so if you *only* made $3,000 you are fine.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

  • I am married though is that a problem because my husband grossed almost $36,000

    Answer by dawnmitchell at 10:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

  • You will be fine.

    Answer by Magpie75 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

  • I think this answer would depend on a few things. Your filing status for one, if you have children (which I assume) for two. If you were combining your income with another person then the fact that they didn't take out any taxes could be a problem. Basically the more money you pay to the government during the year is the less you will pay at the end of year. And the way to get a refund is to over pay during the year. Make sense? If you were filing single then there are so many deductions, like children that you can claim that it will make up for the no taxes being taken out. And as the previous poster said the deduction for single is $8950 so that'll work in your favor as well. Good Luck!

    Answer by danni33 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

  • first anon poster again: Like the others have said, it depends on many factors, but for your income alone it's not a big deal. If hubby has paid in enough to cover his taxes, you should be fine. If he has made so much that the exemption and deductions have been limited, you may owe. But if that is the problem, then you should be able to pay the taxes without any problems (those threashholds are pretty high). Best appraoch is to just start filling out the forms! :)

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

  • If your DH claims 0 deductions on his tax witholding then you are probably OK.
    Turbo tax has free software online.
    Why not start doing your return and see what it comes up with.
    If you end up owing I doubt it would be much.
    I would also ask your employer why no tax was taken out, so you don't have the same issues next year. When we first got married and before kids I used to take extra out so we didn't owe at the end of the year.

    Answer by AussieMum2 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

  • just file it as it is... your husband probably paid in more than enough to cover what you didn't.. don't worry about it.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.