potty training age?

My son is 17months old and i have seen some moms on here talking about potty training kids that are the same age, but he just does not seem nearly mature enough to even think about potty training...am i just not seeing that he is getting to that age, or is he really too young and the other moms are just lucky lol

Rachel1786

Asked by Rachel1786 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i dont know my son is two yrs and we still dont got it down i always said i wanted him potty trained by a yr and a half but it didnt happen..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• The child has to be physically able and mature enough to understand the process before starting training. I wouldn't worry about starting the process until after the 2nd birthday.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 10:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• It depends on the kid. My friend always brags about how her first 2 kids were potty trained by 2 but then the 3rd wasn't until 3. My daughter is 2 and still working on it. It depends on the kid. Maybe you start talking to him about it now and see how he reacts to it.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 10:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• It really depends on the child. My gitls were both 20 months...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 10:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• We introduced the toilet VERY early and Roo took the lead on the actual "training." She started only pooping on the potty at 9 months and was fully potty trained (day and night, pee and poop) at 14 months.

I personally think it is BS that a child cannot physically hold their urine or know when they need to go before 2, but I think that HOW they express that is different and if you don't pay attention you'll miss the chance to get them out of diapers at a younger age and you'll have to wait until they are older and want to.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• You know what I had the same question with my 18mnth old.

I was at his Dr. lately and he told me alot of really good tips to get him ready.
    Right now I am to identify pee and poop. Make sure not to call it gross or anything that would make them embrassed of it. I also am to let my son go to the bathroom with his dad to watch "big boys pee". I also am getting a potty chair that is there for him just so he knows what it is.

Once he can tell you that he is peeing or pooping verbally , thats about the time you want to start potty training. It might be a pain in the butt though. Its hard to be out shopping and they say "Mommy I have to pee" and of course the have pullups on so they can just go in their pants but they dont want to. But its all worth it i guess.

My dr said not to worry until they are 3 yrs with no potty usage at all.
    coltonsmum523

Answer by coltonsmum523 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• i started to potty train my daughter when she turned 18 months her pediatrician told me that is the age that you can start and she wasnt fully trained till 2 though
    cmtw21

Answer by cmtw21 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2009