My DF is thinking about joining military. I have ?s

I'm clueless and in need of answers. His father was in the Air Force. He's thinking of joining that branch now that we're expecting and he feels ready.

For one, we were planning on getting married in a few months. In case we don't do it right away (just in case but I'm sure we won't delay) is it better for us to be married before or after he signs up?

I have two kids from a different marriage and I have custody. Will we run into any problems or set backs because of this?

My DF would want us all to live on base housing wherever he gets stationed. What do I need to know about base housing considering I have 2 kids from another marriage and one on the way?

Anything else I need to know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Feb. 19, 2012 in Military

• You should get married beforehand, that way he claim you and your children as dependents (that would mean free healthcare for you). If you have custody there shouldn't be any issues. To get base housing you need to be married, and the other 2 kids won't affect whether you get it or not. They give you a house based on family size, for instance, we have 2 kids so we are allowed a 3 bedroom house. The biggest house size they have on base is 4 bedrooms, which would be what you would most likely get.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2012

• Oh, I should say that if you get married beforehand your prenatal care would be covered.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2012

• I keep thinking of things to tell you...he will be gone for 6 weeks for basic training, and then how long he is gone for school will depend on what job he gets. My school was 4 months, my DH's school was about 5 months. If you are married before he leaves you will get family separation pay and I believe you will receive BAH to help pay your mortgage/rent.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2012

• Thank you so much AF4Life! Please keep the info coming! Are you both military?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2012

• I say marry before he enlists. The other stuff, you need to go to his recruitment meeting next time with him, or write it down for him to ask.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2012

• I was up until this month. I was in the Air National Guard, but I had to separate early because we are moving overseas. If you have more question feel free to message me. I would also check on your custody arrangements I know with some custody arrangements you aren't able to leave the state without a new hearing, so I would check on that because chances are he won't get stationed in that state.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2012

• He would have to get a dependent waiver because he would be trying to join with 4 dependents.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2012

• On base housing varies from base to base, some are awesome and brand new like where we live now and some not so much, like the house we lived in at our last duty station. If you have facebook add "moving house for the military spouse" and look at their albums, they are so helpful! It's all submitted by people who have actually lived in the houses they are taking pictures of instead of the mocked up pics that the civilian contractors use. You shouldn't run into any problems with your kiddos from the previous relationship, DF will claim them as his dependents just as he will you and your new baby. If you marry before he joins you will benefit from the medical care and BAH earlier but honestly it's best to marry when you are ready to and not worry about that. If your medical care and rent are a big concern then that can ease a lot of the stress. As far as anything else you would need to know...that can fill an encyclopedia!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 20, 2012

• Tpically I would say before he enlists bUt since he would have so many dependents right now that would require a waiver that may or may not be approved. I would talk to the recruiter and see how many waivers are being approved as far as I know they are not allowing Any to pass through because they are making so many cuts.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:48 AM on Feb. 20, 2012

• Oh the typos, sorry dumb iPad. Housing is housing. You are giving a housing allowance. When you are in housing they keep the whole allowance. They do not always have four bedroom homes so kids of the same sex are intended to share. It just depends on your base. We have four kids and the largest they have here is three bedrooms so we are renting out in town.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:51 AM on Feb. 20, 2012