What sex is your autistic child?

I just read something that said it is more common in boys than girls, so out of curiosity, I thought I would ask.

ProudSingleMum

Asked by ProudSingleMum at 10:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Health

• Mine is a boy. Though I have a daughter I question sometimes.

One theory is that the Autism rate is not necessarily highter in boys, but that girls often slip under the radar. Girls are more likely to people please and naturally are more social. Many moms of girls with higher functioning autism or Asperger syndrome have to push harder for a diagnosis.

Also girls with Asperger syndrome for example tend to be bossy, dominate the play group, things like that, so they show their lack of social skills in a different way.

Another thing with girl aspies is their obsessions tend to be considered more normal. So instead of vacuums, it could be horses, books etc...
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 10:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• my daughter is awaiting a diagnosis, possibly has aspergers and my niece has just been diagnosed with moderate-severe autism.
    she is the only girl i know on the autism spectrum, all others i know are boys.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:59 AM on Jan. 19, 2009