How do I get my 3 year old son off of warm milk?

andresmummy

Asked by andresmummy at 10:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Not sure I would want to...maybe just stop offering it to him?
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• what??? why does he HAVE to be off it? is this a special treat, or a nightly thing, or do you warm it everytime he drinks milk? what if you're out somewhere? it can become a special thing, like hot chocolate is, just every once in a while. it's not a dietary thing, it's a habit (or preference) that you've created. you can ease him off, or go cold turkey. whatever you decide, don't give in when he whines and complains. your decision needs to be firm. again, use it as a special treat (but not a bribe. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 10:52 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• When my kids were babies, I slowly made their formula less warm to get them used to it colder...before we switched to milk, they were already drinking cold stuff....

So..slowly stop warming it as much, or just stop warming it altogether. He's 3, you should be able to tell him that he doesn't need it warm.

If you go cold turkey, don't offer any other drinks BUT milk until he starts drinking it. He'll just keep refusing the milk and wait for you to offer something else......
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Thanks for your ideas ladies! He gets warm milk bottles during nap and night time. But, this is a time consuming thing for Mommy!! I just want to go cold turkey. My husband has tried luke-warm but that didn't go over with my son!
    andresmummy

Answer by andresmummy at 3:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2009