How can I get my grounddaughter to stop hitting she is 2 years old she hits her 4 year old sister?

OK Its my older son child she is 2 years old and she hits her sister for nothing. We try buting her on the sofa to stay for a mim and it don't work. They evern specked her and tell her bad but it ownly made it worse. She hits more. They really don't know what to do. Is there anyone there that went through with a child hitting? that can help?

Betty48

Asked by Betty48 at 10:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• this is what i do pick up the child who is hitting move them into a quite place and sit them down at eye level and have the chat about how hitting is wrong staying with them for a few mins after to make sure they understand then keep and eye out for the startings again then its just a rinse and repeat type thing after that
    pyrozilla

Answer by pyrozilla at 6:26 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I don't have any advice to help stop hitting, but I do know that hitting is a learned behavior. Chances are she learned this from her parents. Like you said spanking made it worse. Children learn by example, if they hit than so will she.
    Anonymous

• Yea its hard to say.. I believe In spanking.. after one warning especially at that age when they do understand.... But I do believe she should get a good, hard, firm, spank on her bottom consistently EVERY TIME she hits.. and yes if she is picking it up from someone else then they need to stop doing it in front of her.. and make sure too the 4 year old isnt being manipulated behind closed doors to the two year old.. kids are very smart.

But yes I would sit her down in time out after a good spank. Stick her in her crib/room consistently everytime she hits.. eventually she will stop.. It takes Time and consistentcy.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 10:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2009