Dog's anal gland problem

My dog gave me a real scare this morning when I found blood on her hindquarters. Turned out she'd had an abcessed anal gland that ruptured. The vet gave us antibiotics and a cream to use, and we're supposed to go back later in the week for a check.

My question is whether I should expect repeated anal gland issues? She's a two and a half year old Lhasa Apso/Pekingese mix, spayed, and we've never had a problem before.

Asked by gdiamante at 10:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Pets

• do you get her groomed? a good groomer will be able to express her glands when you take her in, and ever 3 or so months is typically often enough. if you are really brave, you can do it yourself, but it involves a dog butt, so most people won't, understandably. your vet can also do it for you at check up, but it costs significantly more than the groomer.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:20 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Our cat had the same thing happen about two months ago. It was quite shocking and scary. She had to take antibiotics and wear a cone collar. The collar came off in 6 weeks, and the vet said to have her checked every month for a while, and that that could come down to every couple months after that, and no estimate of how long it would have be checked. The vet conjectured that our cat was overweight and so the gland wasn't able to empty as it should. I hope your pup feels much better soon and doesn't have any further problem.

Answer by Bmat at 10:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I do get her groomed, but haven't taken her in since November. She started scooting a couple of weeks ago and I didn't know that was a trouble sign.

I will be making sure the groomer handles this for me in the future.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:43 AM on Jan. 19, 2009