Do you teach your child (children) about Dr. King and his legacy?

I was told by another mother that my child is too "young" to learn about Dr. King, but I think it's important for children to know our collective history. I'm taking my son to hear readings of Dr. King's speeches and I'm actually shocked that some parents would choose to ignore this holiday entirely. I tell my son that Dr. King fought to make this country a fairer place for everyone, no matter what color their skin, how much money they made or what religion they were. I teach him that Dr. King wanted peace and brotherhood for all people. I teach him that Dr. King was an amazing American who made this country a better place for us all to live in. I will tell him to look up to the example of Dr. King and know that it's his duty to stand up for what is right and to make noise when he sees something that is wrong or unjust in this world.

feministmama

Asked by feministmama at 10:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I homeschool my kids so the answer is yes. This is my job!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I taught my son about Dr.King and he has been learning about him in school as well.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 10:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Who is Dr. King? lol I have never heard of him.
    Your not talking about Martin Luther King are you?
    Anonymous

• no honestly and my parents didnt teach me what i learned i did in school nothing more and no i probably wont teach my kids nothing about him either
    Anonymous

• Yes I have and will with my younger childen.
    Lovebama

Answer by Lovebama at 11:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I certainly will when my daughter is old enough. She's only a newborn right now =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• No, I wont lie. He will learn everything in school that deals with Martin Luther King. To be honest, The school her where I live consider it Human Relations Day, but some of the schools let the children know its for Martin Luther King.
    Anonymous

• Seriously. Who is he? Is there a link or something you can give?
    Anonymous

• Okay so it is MLK...The whole "Dr" thing confused me.
    He was a Dr?
    Anonymous

• Dr. Martin Luther King? You honestly don't know who he is?
    feministmama

Answer by feministmama at 11:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2009