My dog won't leave me alone!

So, I have a collie who is 2 years old. I got him as a puppy right before we found out I was pregnant, so he had about a year to get used to being my "only child". He was brilliantly well-behaved that first year, friendly and loyal and had manners, but after my son was born he.... changed. Now, he is hyper, and short-tempered, and is constantly "stuck" to my side (he follows me EVERYWHERE, and gets between me and my son on purpose, "pushes" me around since he's a pretty big dog, etc.) and he has also gotten vicious with strangers, when he used to love them. And no matter what I try, I can't get this behavior to stop. It has been over a year since my son was born, too. We have a large yard, and I take him on as many walks as I can manage (not as many as I used to, though) and play fetch and wrestle with him, etc., but it doesn't seem to be enough. He acts like he is neglected, when he isn't. Any advice???

Iskkra

Asked by Iskkra at 10:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Pets

• well its clearly an issue with your son. he used to be the center of attention and now he's not. i have no clue on how to fix it. you should research it or look on cesar milans page.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• well my cat was like that, she was my baby before i had my daughter

maybe spend more time with the dog? buy him treats , make sure he knows you still love him
    xxmissrainbow

Answer by xxmissrainbow at 12:55 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• yeah, i agree spend time with your dog he is feeling a bit out of place perhaps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I'm not sure about all dogs, I've never had a collie but I hear they're very smart. He was still a pup when your son was born, but now he's a grown protector of the family I think. I think he gets between the two of you so he can protect you both maybe. When your friends/people come over, have him on a leash and tell him to play nice or soothe him to let him know that they mean you and the little one no harm maybe? I went online to read some tips on how to train the dogs to do certain things (I just got a German Shepherd who's 3 months old and dont' want the problem you're having) so I'm going to enroll him in obedience training this spring or summer.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 12:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I was recommended this site and had forgotten about it but went there today to find out about agression. If I'm not wrong this guy has his own show on tv (think it's dog whisperer" or something like tha.
    http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/tips/issues_understand_aggression.php
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 2:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My dog's problem isn't really aggression, I just put that in the question b/c it is a "new development" (he barks at people when we are on walks, not at people who come to our home). The biggest problem is his clingyness - he just HAS to be wherever I am, and he pushes himself between me and my son when we play. He isn't neglected - I am home most of the day with him and incorporate his playtime into the day, and my son and husband play with him as well. He gets enough attention... I tried the Dog Whisperer site - no help...
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 3:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• OH, HELLO!!!! I have the same problem with my dog--2 year old Papillon.  He is precious--but as soon as I get home from work--he is attached to me--I cannot go to the bathroom without him--In the bathroom he has a special spot to lay while I put on my makeup--When I cook he is there, when I go to bed he is there, when I am on the couch he is there--not just there---at my side joined to my hip.  Face it--your dog LOVES YOU!!!!!  I have found that a chew toy--like a rawhide twist can keep my precious puppy occupied for an hour at a time.  That is good news for my sanity. If you find the answer please let me know also.  Good luck. 

emme1964

Answer by emme1964 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Did you try the walking him? I figured you loved him and gave him attention from your post but as with my German Shepherd, everywhere I've read says he needs to be walked every day between 3-5 miles unless he has a really big yard to run in because it can cause behavioral problems etc. If I'm not wrong, the collie is one of the herding type dogs too so they need jobs to do etc. Sorry I wasn't more helpful but hopefully you can figure it out. Google the question maybe?
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 7:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I walk him as much as I can, but my son is too little to walk with us yet and I can't hold the leash and the stroller at the same time, so I very rarely get a chance to walk him during the day (I'm in school in the morning and hubby is at work in the afternoon). I walk him on weekends and play fetch in the yard during the day while my son naps. We have a big yard so he can run all the time, we have 2 other dogs that he plays with, so I just don't know... I did google the question, actually! Some help, but not much. *Sigh* I guess its off to obedience school for us!
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 10:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My dogs have jealousy issues. It might be that your dog thinks it is the pack leader and now that it is seeing you lead the pack per se, it is having problems adjusting. It may feel like it has established itself with in the pack and your son is infringing. I have been trying to think this scenario through for myself as we are expecting our first child in April and have 2 dogs. My older one is 7 and younger one is 2 and the older one is STILL adjusting to the second dog. It is like a sibling rivalry thing in this house! Good luck!
    stephgood1

Answer by stephgood1 at 10:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2009