• In the Spotlight:

Who do you admire in this world, historical or living?

Should we judge people by who they are, what they do, or what they aspire to? In our own lifetime, are there people whose characters and achievements rank with those of great men and women of the past?

BarbaraAnn22

Asked by BarbaraAnn22 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Belva Lockwood, historically, she was the first woman to run for president... and a relative of mine... also respect Joshua Chamberlain... who fought in the Civil War... He and his men fought hard in Gettysburg, and held off the south, on little round top with little to no bullets. If the confederates had out flanked Chamberlain and his men, it could have meant the loss of the battle at Gettysburg, which could have been the downfall of the Union.
    During my life time, I use to admire my grandmother, she was always donating, baking stuff, helping others, etc. The absolute best.
    Now, I admire my Aunt... who went through so much and is still a very strong independent woman.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I don't think that we should judge anyone for anything unless it personally effects you in a negative way. Who are we to tell people how to live and what they can and cannot do? Within reason of chorse. If something is harmless then it is none of our business.
    I'm sure that in our life time there are plenty of people who rank with the greats. Whether or not they will make it into the textbooks 500 years from now is another story. But if there weren't these people, there would be no progress.
    Tybaby07

Answer by Tybaby07 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• George W. Bush! He's awesome.
    robyn976

Answer by robyn976 at 1:49 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• In our own lifetime? Mother Teresa. Nelson Mandela. Martin Luther King Junior. Rosa Parks.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:34 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I agree with the post above: Mother Teresa. Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks...there's alot more, but I can't really judge who is better than who :-)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:41 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I admire Mike Huckabee. He is an incredible man that lives out his beliefs without crushing others as he does so. I believe if all of us would do this, as we wish others would do for us, we would have many others to admire.
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 6:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I don't believe in admiration. That would be selling yourself short. Yes, I do agree that there were amazing men and women in this world but none of which I admire but I am happy to know their stories.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 7:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My dad. He is a wonderful man of God and I have seen him fight and win the daily battles in life. I have seen the level of sacrifices he made for me and what he did to make sure I was raised in the things of God. There just isn't anyone in history that could compare to that.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2009