my son has a bad temper

my one year old's temper is getting worse it has gotten to the point that when i tell not to do something he yells at me and trys to hit me or he takes hes anger on our dogs

sunny23

Asked by sunny23 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wish other people would answer! My son , when he is told no, does it again and again when I block him he BITES me! Or the nearest object, including himself! I especially wish he would stop biting himself. I've tried distraction but that doesn't usually work. I wap him on the butt when he does bite me. The ultimate question is how do you deal with their reaction to discipline?
    SillyMomma

Answer by SillyMomma at 11:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• omg so does mine! He will freak out and hit me and when i tell him not to do that and put him down he will go hit a wall or something else. I dont understand where he gets it from we do not even spank... He just gets so mad over little things...like my aunt will be watching him and when she wears glasses he freaks out! If you get any good advise on this besides hitting - cuz i am not a hitter - pls send them my way.

I have tried saying no, holding his hand down, taking what ever he had away, alot of things.
    coltonsmum523

Answer by coltonsmum523 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Don't let it even start , harder and harder to correct later.
    h2obare

Answer by h2obare at 12:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Little people this age have small vocabulary and are huge on body language, even yours mom. Best thing to do when your child hits you or bites is not to over react, just move him to a time out spot, tell him "soft touch no hitting" and when he is calm tell him "good body/ good being calm". ALWAYS CATCH THEM BEING GOOD. use short sentences, Good sitting, nice soft touch to dog or mommy or aunt... These things must be consistant and the behavours will fade, I do work in special ed w/ preschool kids and in time they all get it,
    HelenetheQueen

Answer by HelenetheQueen at 2:05 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Stop it before it esclates. If you tell him no and you know that he'll get mad remind him before he tries to hit you. Tell him it's not ok to hit and take him away from you. You can use time out, not to have them sit there for a long time but it's just to make a point that the behavior is unacceptable. don't look at them while they are in time out. sometimes if your watching them they might act out in anger even more. ignoring them sometimes works as well (usually if they're having a tantrum) i wouldn't ignore them if the're hitting or biting! You can also tell them that if they're going to hit they can not be around you.
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 3:13 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• what i do is when they get out of control angry is to pick them up in my arms and hold them until they calm down you might have to move there hand and watch out for the bites
    talk in a calm voice and explane what they are doing is wrong and also what theu did to get in trouble
    pyrozilla

Answer by pyrozilla at 6:11 AM on Jan. 19, 2009