Should I move out of state for college?

So I am 18 and my son will be 17 months when i go to college. I am not married but my boyfriend was planning on going with me wherever i go. The problem is i dont know if i should stay in ohio to go to college an hour away from my home or if i should move to north carolina where i have a lot of family and go to school there. The school in NC has the major that i really really want to study but im just not sure if i will be able to handle everything on my own. I hate ohio and im just dying to get away but my mother (who i currently live with) keeps telling me I should stay here for the family support. I really needs some insight from anyone whose had this kind of dilemma.

LiLMAMA319

Asked by LiLMAMA319 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• You have a lot of family in NC. The school in NC has the major you want. And may have the child care you need. You hate Ohio.

I'd call this one a no-brainer, but there is one more consideration...tuition. What can you afford? What can you get aid for?

Answer by gdiamante at 11:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I did this. I left my family and I'm doing it on my own. I'm single so it's hard. But if your not happy in Ohio, then your baby won't be happy there either. You can always move back if you feel you need to. School is important and you should go to the best you can.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 11:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I agree. NC it is

Answer by admckenzie at 11:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I went to grad school in another state. It was where I was offered money to attend. I didn't have a child, just myself. It was tricky being away from family, but I made it on my own and supporting myself entirely on the small amount I was paid at the university and what I made at a summer job. Before you make the move, make sure that you can afford it. Where will you live, how will you support yourself and your child. Make plans and arrangements first. And don't burn any bridges, make sure that if it doesn't work out that you have a place to return to.

Answer by Bmat at 11:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I agree - move!!! Yes the tuition will be higher but it sounds like you need the change....

*** I hope you are doing okay. If you need a hug, some love and support, or somewhere to hang out, consider Mothers Who Mentor, tell them Tonya sent you!
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/MothersWhoMentor
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 7:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2009