What is your moral code, in relation to right and wrong?

Ethics, conscience, guilt, education, spirituality, listening to the still voice within--how do we determine a moral code for ourselves? What guides us, what yardstick can we use when morals change so much from century to century an even from year to year?

BarbaraAnn22

Asked by BarbaraAnn22 at 11:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe that we should always treat people better then we want to be treated. This can be applied to stealing, lying, cheating (in school etc), respect, understanding, acceptance, etc. I always try to remember how my actions are going to effect the people around me. I also try to remember that I am a small part of something big. My family, my neighborhood, my community, my state, country, and world.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:25 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I try to live in a way that considers those around me. I treat others as I want to be treated, and I teach kindness to my own children and expect them to pass it along. Sometimes I make a bad choice, I'm certainly not perfect, but I model how to apologize or make a wrong a right, and move on. My guide is to to right by my children.  I model how to live, how to treat others, how to share.....all those things.  I can't worry about the past, but can consider it when making future decisions.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Moral codes can be found and made by a variety of sources. Sometimes its from our spiritual beliefs and sometimes from our instincts.

My personal moral is my conscience and my instincts. How would I feel if it was me on the other end of the situation,etc.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• My moral code is this:Right and wrong are subjective.What may be right for me,may not be right for someone else.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 11:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• How have morals changed throughout the years?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• For me, its the bible and God's word.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 12:37 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I think all of the things you mentioned have helped guide me at some point. Some moreso than others. But overall I tend to use the "Golden Rule" (a version of which is present within almost every religion on Earth, by the way). I try to treat others as I would want to be treated if I were in the same position. That does not mean that I try to impose MY OWN thoughts and morals on others as if it were ME in that situation however. It means that I try to understand THEIR perspective and THEIR reasons and then think about how I would act if I were THEM. Trying to understand and empathize with others is my primary way of interacting with the world and is what guides many of my moral decisions.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:24 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• (To answer Wimsey) I think morals have changed throughout the years, definitely. Educated people in the 21st century, for example, tend to think slavery is wrong, that racial discrimination is wrong, and that one should do all in one's power to minimize suffering and maximize happiness. That hasn't always been the case, but that tends to be true of people today whether or not they are religious.
    BarbaraAnn22

Answer by BarbaraAnn22 at 1:39 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• "First, do no harm." It's the Hippocratic oath and I think it really covers things pretty well.

Murder and assault are obvious harm.

Lying is harm to someone's reputation or business.

Stealing is harm to one's finances.

And so on.

It's the Golden Rule, really.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:33 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• The Bible tells us how to live. It's all there and if you study the Bible you will see how God wants us to live. I saw something today that made great sense. Before you do something simply think "Would Jesus like what I am doing?" or "Would Jesus do what I am doing?" If the answer is no or probably not, then think twice about doing it! Of course humans aren't perfect and we do make mistakes, and that is where the asking forgiveness comes in! But I believe God has laid out his expectations of us through His word in the Bible.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:24 AM on Jan. 19, 2009