Do you accept the concept of karma, in the sense of cause and effect?

Isaac Newton, in his third law of motion, describes the principle that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. To what extent does the inexorable law of karma, that we reap what we have sown, apply to our conduct in this life?

BarbaraAnn22

Asked by BarbaraAnn22 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, I do. All things have energy. If you are creating negative energy you will only receive negative energy. The simplest way to explain this is if you are angry, you yell at your DH, he in turn yells at you... Your negative action caused the return of negativity to you... If you steal a car you go to jail... Same thing. Unfortunately this principal only takes in to effect YOU. The notion that if you only put out positive energy you will only receive it is just preposterous... You can be the best wife and your husband my still beat you... It's his negative energy that is then affecting you, not yours... The point here is that you must strive to not only put out only positive energy but you must strive to surround yourself with it. The bad apple principal.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:08 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• The action force and the reaction force exist at the SAME time. So, no I do not believe Karma has anything to do with Newtons Law because Karma comes AFTER the action.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Please understand Newton's 3rd law before you ask a question.

Anonymous

• I could go out tomorrow and commit murder, and as long as every part of me believes that it was a 'good' action I would reap positive karma from it. Karma is not an outside influence that judges and action as 'good' or 'bad'. Karma is 100% internal, and 100% dependent on the point of view of the person performing the action.

One can also rise above the influence of Karma. If you have no attachment to an action you will reap no Karma from it...which is the goal of those seeking enlightenment through the Buddhist path.

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I do not believe in Karma. Not even a little bit. Newtons theory makes sense but does not apply here.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 12:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I'd like to believe in Karma. I'd like to believe that if some has done something to wrong me or my family that they will ultimately get what is coming to them. I don't know about it being an "out-side force" as one mom said. But I do think that when we do something wrong it stays with us and eventually will come back to haunt us. But I also think that if you live your life trying everyday to make the best decision that you will not be as effected by Karma.
    Tybaby07

Answer by Tybaby07 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• In a sense, the law of Newton is the physical application of karma.  In this physical application, consequences (or the reaction) do not always come back to us immediately...think of it as a boomerang.

I believe that doing good eventually leads to you feeling good, that's the truth.  Many religions don't accept the concept of karma, such as Islam, Christianity, and Judaism.  Others think that it is destiny and what is used on "judgement day".  What I'm sure of, though, is you sow what you reap, and you are creating your future by every thought, word, and action.  The way we conduct ourselves effects us somehow.

BarbaraAnn22

Answer by BarbaraAnn22 at 1:34 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Actually I do believe in karma up to a point.  I don't believe I will be rewarded for every little good deed I do but I do believe that you get what you put out.  In other words if I live my life well and do for others then that is what I will get back.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Yes I believe in it as cause and effect.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Newton's law is in regard to mass not conduct

Answer by admckenzie at 11:40 AM on Jan. 19, 2009