• In the Spotlight:

when should you start letting a baby use a fork or spoon?

bella021

Asked by bella021 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Anytime is fine once they are sitting up and interested. Just make sure to get age appropriate utenstils.

What I did is while feeding my kids I would also give them a spoon with some food on it and put it on their tray. They learned to pick it up and use it slowly.

Meals will be messy, but just keep giving to them for practice. That is how they learn.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 11:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• At about 9 months I began putting spoons and forks at the table for them. Most of the time they just played with them for a while , but eventually they learn how to use the utensils properly by watching :)
    Taerna

Answer by Taerna at 11:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• The earlier the better. I give my son a spoon to play with in his highchair, he's 6 months. He's able to get the tip of it in his mouth, sometimes i'll put food on it and he'll feed himself.
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 3:06 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• We started forks at about 11 months, a spoon at about 18 months when they had better coordination. (a fork is easier we thought...you can stab food instead of having to scoop with a spoon and keep it upright..)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:54 AM on Jan. 19, 2009