Is it just me or is Valentine's Day a joke?

OK.. I understand it's about the love, blah blah blah... but seriously.. the cliche of it all. I want flowers on a random Thursday afternoon just because... or a surprise date night at a great eatery, just the two of us on a hot summer night. I don't want it on 2/14 because that is what Hallmark told you to do! Does anyone else feel this way?

kristi729

Asked by kristi729 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Holidays

• I think a surprise would be nice...but the odds of my DH doing it are not good at all, so I take what I can get..if thats only Valentines day then so be it
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I agree. My anniversary is February 16th, so we totally ignore V-day. My little brother's birthday is on February 14th.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• The history behind Valentines day is actually pretty interesting....Its not about love at all

I do like Valentines day though.
    Anonymous

• Valentine's day is a "hallmark holiday", yes, but still a fun day just to do something sweet for someone, and especially fun for kids. I remember having so much fun making valentines and having a party in school and eating candy. :) I always get my son a little something like a box of candies and a card just to tell him i love him. Also my Dh proposed to me on Valentine's day (ten years ago this year!) so it is a special day. I do agree though, it is nice to get flowers or special surprises on days that are random throughout the year as well.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• V-day is a fun holiday to participate in with the kids. My husband and I don't really celebrate it at all. It's just another day for stores to make money.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• It is just a day to think about a loved one, or ones. Just as we love our mothers but have a special day to honor her. If there were no special day for honoring my loved one, I'd undoubtedly continue living my life and generally honoring him, but this way it is a little nudge to be sure to do it. and it is in addition to his birthday. I don't mind that hallmark and the florists and candy companies make some profit. It is a light day, happy, about love. I've often made my own card to give to my husband. No present needs to be given, but it is pleasant to make some special acknowledgment.

Answer by Bmat at 11:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• We feel exactly the same way - V-Day is for the babies. Not us.

DD will have a blast making her own cards and DS is going to pick out a "big really, really red" candy heart for his teacher.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I hate Valentines day. I totally agree with the OP. I would rather my husband do something nice for me just because, not because of the stupid "halmark holiday". However, since I have a son now, I do plan on doing something nice/cute for him this year!
    Anonymous

• Personally, I don't really care if my hubby does anything for me, but it will be fun for my son, who is 2, to be able to make a special card for his "papa". He is always so proud of the things that he makes for us. I already have my eye on a special stuffed doggie for him for Valentines day. (Dogs are his favorite) All in all, I think it is more for the kids. My husband does sweet things for me all the time and I don't need a special holiday for him to show me he loves me.
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 11:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• its a day after a st. learnt he history yes some of the stuff is a litle weird now but the history is what it is about
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine's_Day
    Anonymous