how do you get a 15 month old to hold her own sippy cup?

bella021

Asked by bella021 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Did she ever hold her own bottle? I would get ones with hand grips or handles since they can be hard for little hands to hold.
    just sit it in front of her and eventually i would think she will reach out for it and hold it.
    coltonsmum523

Answer by coltonsmum523 at 11:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• My son is the same age and has been hold his own "baba" since probly 10 or 11 months. He didn't do well with the handled sippy. He just sort of grabbed it on his own. I took a couple tries. My advice to you is to leave one empty or have one with just a quarter full with water and just let her play with it. Does she grab for it? If all else fails ask the doctor!
    SillyMomma

Answer by SillyMomma at 1:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My dd is 14th months and still does not know how to hold her baba or sippy cup right. She can drink fine if I lay her down but will not pick it up as to tilt it upwards to drink. I too worry about this but decided to wait to her 15 mth check up. if you don't have any solutions by then I'll let u know what the doc says...next month..
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 3:06 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• If she's tirsty she should be able to grab it and try to figure it out atleast. If you do everything for her than she hasn't had to learn. Take her hands and put them on the sippy cup and show her how to drink it. She should be able to do this by now. My son is 6 months old and he can hold his own bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• The same way we did our 6 month olds.....put her hands on it and your hands over hers until she keeps her hand on it. If she takes her hands off it, then it drops. Just keep at it and she'll get it.

It took us about 2 weeks to teach our 6 month olds to use the cup..once they had the hang of holding it, we had to teach them to tip it. lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:56 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Stop holding it for her. My daughter will do that sometimes. She'll put her mouth on the cup and wait for me to tip it. I tell her no, she's a big girl and set it down. Then she'll grab it and drink. But if you do it for her, she'll never even try. Kids are smart/lazy that way :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• easy, STOP HOLDING IT FOR HER! LOl If she really wants it, she will get it
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My son had a hard time with his sippy cup at first. I fixed it by laying hm down on the floor & he would hold it & drink it like he was drinking his bottle. He had a hard time tipping the cup at first, but we didn't push the issue & in a couple of months he was doing just fine!!!
    JLee07

Answer by JLee07 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 19, 2009