Is it normal, that after u have a baby, u feel so depressed that u sometimes don't want anything to do with ur baby. Is it normal to feel this way? or am I alone?

U sometimes feel like u just wanna leave, or that u wish u didn't have a baby at all.

Jco22

Asked by Jco22 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, in a sense it is not normal. But it does have a cure...It's called Baby Blues or Post-Partum depression. You will need to speak with your doctor about this right away before it gets any worse.

I had this with my second baby because he cried about 20 hours a day. I did not even want to touch him. If you get help from the doctor you will be able to enjoy your baby to the fullest.

Good luck. E-mail me anytime for support.
    lrobles1983

Answer by lrobles1983 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Hun this is Post Partum Depression and something you need to talk to your OB/GYN right away. This is a serious condition that should not be taken lightly or ignored. They can give you some medication that will help you till it passes. Please seek help. There are storys of women with this condition that put the babys in Microwaves, dryers, they starve them, ignore the babys, kill the babys and more. Please call your OB/GYN right away, and if the office is closed.. call a Family member or friend to help you with the baby till you get ahold of someone.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I had a baby that cried nonstop too and it was my first. I thought I was going to be insane for the rest of my life. You'll get past it soon, but if you start having violent thoughts, talk to your doctor about treatment and get extra help from whoever will help you!
    ArtC

Answer by ArtC at 5:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Yes this is very normal. But you do need to seek some help even if it is a good friend or your mom to talk to. don't try to get through it alone. I had it esp. bad with my 2nd, and had to use anti-depressants. Which I am soooo thankful for.
    pbjmoore

Answer by pbjmoore at 5:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• It's not normal BUT you are not alone. It's called post-partum depression.

PLEASE, PLEASE call your doctor and ask to be seen. This is one of the most under-diagnosed problems in new moms because so many women feel ashamed and alone.

There is no reason to be ashamed - it's a chemical problem in your brain... you wouldn't be ashamed of an upset stomach would you? You have as much control over this as you would an ulcer.

There is no reason to be alone. There are support groups on here and I'm sure there are support groups in your town. Like I said, this is very common.

You deserve to be happy, to enjoy your new baby and your new baby deserves it too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• yes its normal lol from what others are sayin that its not i guess my doctor lied to me by tellin me it was completley normal...anyways with my daughter everytime she cried i wanted to sit far away from her cover my ears and cry i didnt want anything to do with her come to find out one day i got to my breaking point i didnt trust myself with my daughter my docotr told me i had a really bad part of post partum that that really bad stages are rare most post partum arent serious in my case mine was i had to take bunch of medicenes and talk with councilors....after my daughter turned couple months old and i got the medicene in my system i was back to normal my daughter is my life and my world ...get your self checked and nip it in the butt now before it gets worse i delayed it for a long time and it just made it worse on me and my child
    ShYmAmA08

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Yes it is normal
    like others have said it can be really bad.
    I am almost positive that EVERYONE gets it. I have heard that it can last up to 5 years (on and off that is) I certainly had it but never to the point that I wanted to walk away....I just cried a whole lot for no reason.
    They say that a women will get as many hormones in the 9 months of pregnancy that another women could get in 150 YEARS.
    imagine all of those crazy hormones trying to get back to normal!
    Don't worry, yes you should see a doctor.
    I am glad that people can come forward and talk about it, that's half the battle.
    SadieG

Answer by SadieG at 9:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I was told that it is normal during the first six weeks ( it is the baby blues) after that I was told than it is post pardom
    I cryed alot after I first had my son I would try to fix it as soon as you can talk to your doctor .. My sister had post pardom really bad it happens to alot of women and your not alone It will get better. IT is good that you are talking about it. YOU will be okay
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 9:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• yes its normal try to read this book by joel osteen it helped me
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 9:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• It is normal, I'm going through it now. Sometimes I wonder if I love my son, I know I do, but some days I just want nothing to do with him and I wish he'd go away. Thats when I ask my DH for help. I hope you start feeling better.
    mrsallen328

Answer by mrsallen328 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2008