If your toddler is considered underweight...

If you have a toddler that is considered underweight (as in actually diagnosed by the doctor) do you give them Pediasure? If you do, does it help or just destroy their appetite for real food?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 20, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 3 out of my 5 have been diagnosed as underweight. I was also has a child, as was my mother before me. I did/do not give mine pediasure. My 12 yo and 3 yo are still very thin, but are actually on the charts now and are very healthy. My 18 month old is still quite a bit underweight (she is in the 25% for height, between 0-3% for weight) but she's healthy, happy and eats a large amount of food. I don't think supplementing with a liquid drink is particularly healthy.
    My kids weren't underweight from lack of eating or pickiness, just genetically more predisposed to it. I did give my 3 yo and 18 month old a toddler formula for a few months after they turned 1 instead of switching them straight to milk (because the formula had more calories) but discontinued that at 15 months. They didn't/aren't losing weight, they are exactly the size they are meant to be!

Answer by missanc at 9:31 AM on Feb. 20, 2012

• All 3 of mine are "underweight" too, and no, I don't buy into the idea that they need supplements. They eat well and are active, so I don't feel the need to pump them full of things I wouldn't normally give just to fatten them up. I don't want to set them up for bad habits later on in life.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:44 AM on Feb. 20, 2012

• Pediasure is sugar and chemicals. I would focus on healthy fats, like avocado, nuts/nutbutters, coconut oil, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:32 AM on Feb. 20, 2012

• We did for about a week. Then that was all she wanted. We tasted it and it was like giving a child a milkshake. We just made sure that she was continuing to eat as normal with all the healthy stuff that we give her. My Child is nowhere near the growth chart for weight and I think in the 3rd percentile for height. I don't believe in pumping kids full of stuff so that people think they look "normal". My child is healthy and I know it and genetically she is small. She was small at birth, guess what so was her Daddy. She is thin and so is her Daddy and Mommy was at that age as well. My pedi knows us and knows us well and is pleased that our DD is well fed and is well loved as also impressed with the manners that she has been taught at such a young age.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:17 AM on Feb. 20, 2012

• When my son was a toddler he was also underweight and eventually his proportions have evened out. As long as your child is eating a variety of foods, meeting milestones, and has a normal appetite, should be eating around 3 meals and snacks a day, then don't worry about supplementing with those drinks. I agree with rkoloms that you should focus on healthy fats and nutrient rich foods. If you feel that they aren't getting enough variety due to picky eating habits then talk to your doctor about adding a vitamin supplement and keep trying to get them to eat a wider variety of foods.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2012

• Thanks ladies! I am not concerned about her eating habits most days, she's a really healthy eater. She's just small. We've been told by her nutritionist it would be a good idea to keep some pediasure on hand for the days when she doesn't want to eat so she still gets some calories and nutrients, which I am ok with. Every toddler has picky days, so on those days we'll give her a total of one bottle a little at a time. Her pediatrician, on the other hand, wants her to have 2 bottles a day no matter what her eating habits are. Think I am going with the nutritionist on this one.
    rhianna1708

Comment by rhianna1708 (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Feb. 20, 2012

• IMO, as long as your kids are eating decently lots of organic fruits & veggies, I wouldn't listen to those charts! obesity is such a problem in the country that a) it throws the charts off drastically from what used to be normal, b) people have completely forgotten what a normal size kid is c) so many things affect a childs height and weight, like growth spurts at different times, frequency of illnesses. My kids get sick and lose weight more when in daycare. D) we currently live in Europe and my kids are big compared to most kids. I think people need to start learning about all the genetically modified foods we eat... Approx 75% are modified and there's a direct correlation with obesity!!! Start learning about the battle against genetically mortified foods, which happen to be BANNED in most of Europe, and Monsanto the largest producer who happens to make your Round-Up weed killers and they made the Agent Orange in Vietnam...
    PrincessinAZ76

Answer by PrincessinAZ76 at 7:19 AM on Mar. 28, 2012