• In the Spotlight:

baby shots

my baby is going to get his first shots 2morrow can u tell me what to expect and will he be fussie all day 2morrow?

mom-to-be21

Asked by mom-to-be21 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you really researched the vaccines? www.myspace.com/parentsagainstvax
    The adverse reactions could be anything from mild fever to seizures, arthritis and death. I got arthritis.
    Here are some more places to check out: www.nvic.org www.vaclib.org www.thinktwice.com
    Send me a message if you have ANY questions. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Depends on the baby... with my son he was a bit more sleepy the day of his shots, and a good day then next day and the third day is is a crab!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:04 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• TYLENOL and/or IBUPROFEN!! Give it to them right before you go to the doc. The doc will probly say tylenol. But ask about the ibu because it will help with the fever and aches your little one will probly get. Ibu lasts longer too. But I think all my little man got was VERY hot and a little achey. If you are concerned about ANYTHING tell the nurse or the doc. As for preservatives my doctor told me that there are no preserves in the vacc.'s given to those under a year or something thing. until the body can more properly kick out the preserves.
    SillyMomma

Answer by SillyMomma at 12:10 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Get infant tylenol and give it to them right before. Have your little one wear something that has easy access to the thighs so you don't have to totally redress a sad baby once the shots are done. Like a onsie and pants that slip off real quick. Try to stay a bit afterward until your baby calms down so they don't have to get right in a car seat, and so they can be comforted by being held by you. My lo calmed down pretty quick but I still held her in my arms until we got to the car.

Good luck, it's stressful but so worth it.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 1:25 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Here are the ingredients for vaccines: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-1.pdf CDC's list of ingredients. Formaldehyde (known to cause cancer!), aluminum, polysorbate 80, mouse brains, monkey kideny, aborted fetal tissue (human diploid tissue)

Also, if you choose to give the shots, do watch the fever. My husband worked with a mentally retarded man that got that way from his vaccines. His fever got too high. He's a child in an adults body.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:40 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't look up the ingredients for vaccines on the net or use those links. If you want them Ask the doctor to give you a list. That's the list you can trust because it has to be correct by law. You can publish anything on the internet so you can't really trust everything you read on the internet. Ask your doctors and don't let C moms scare you.

I could go the opposite way of telling you about the girl I know who didn't get vaccinated and got polio at the age of 6 and has been in a wheelchair all her life, or the little boy I know who died from measles on his 7th birthday. All because their mothers didn't vaccinate. But don't listen to me or other moms (the advice on what to expect is good though-it was a good question) everyone wants to push their opinions on you about vaccinations but no matter what you do it will be the right thing because you're the mom of your child.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 1:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• If you noticed, that's the website for the CDC - I don't think they could get away with posting false info about vaccine ingredients. lol.
    Yeah, ask your doctor for the PACKAGE INSERTS.
    And about Polio...
    Jonas Salk, inventor of the IPV, testified before a Senate subcommittee that nearly all polio outbreaks since 1961 were caused by the oral polio vaccine.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:32 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• You can read THE VACCINE BOOK by Dr.Sears. it tells you all about the vaccines and what's in them. He also has an alternate schedule so you don't have to give your baby shots all at once. It's too many shots for such a small child. plus, their brains are 80% developed by the time they are 2 and will recieve 32 shots by then, do you really want that many chemicals and sickness to be injected into him while his mind is growing so quickly.
    I have also heard you shouln't give them anything before they get their shots because you won't be able to tell if he does have any side effects or not.
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 2:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• In answer to the ACTUAL QUESTION....

Every baby is going to react differently. He may be fussy all day. He may sleep all day. I had one of each. Give a dose of Tylenol right before the doctor's appointment. Give it for the next 24 hours to help control any aches or temperature he may develop. (make notes of doses and times to be sure you don't give too much)

At each diaper change, exercise his legs. This will help keep the muscle from stiffening. If the muscle is sore, they tend to not use them, so they stiffen and hurt more. Make him ride a bike, run, do keep knee bends while lying on his back. (my guys started giggling about it about the second time)

If the injection site seems to bother him, try a cold wash cloth or a warm one. Either will help relieve discomfort....but until you try you won't know which the baby prefers. (again...I had one of each)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• just give him some tylenal about 30 to 40 min bfor u go.i always bring a toy and u can hold it in front of him,he will only cry for a few seconds,,i always get nervouse still do,i about fainted last time,lol.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:16 AM on Jan. 19, 2009