If you are not religious I have a ?

NO BASHING PLEASE. If you are or are not religious do you teach your children morals? Such as don’t have sex until married? Not to lie? Not to steal? Not to watch demonic or scary things? Not to speak bad of others? Not to swear? To respect others especially your elders? Not to get drunk? Not to smoke cigarettes or pot or do drugs? ALL ABOVE IF YOU BELIVE IN THE BIBLE YOU WILL DO YOUR BEST NOT TO DO. I ask because I see all of the above so much of ESPECIALLY in the media. I’m wondering if not religious parents teach their children these things. I mean obviously some of theses I would think people do but I’m asking because I just don’t know? The world is full of sex, drugs, and lying and the media makes it all look so good. Anything goes! And it’s all okay to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do not think that belief in a higher power who will issue reward or punishment is the sole purpose for behaving ethically and morally- I am agnostic as far as a higher power goes but I strive to be ethical in my day to day life and am trying to raise my children to feel the same: to respect themselves and others, to be mindful of their actions, to be responsible, to be kind. These things are very important to me because I want to live the best life I can while I am here, and I hope my children will do the same. Whether one believes in God or not, we can all strive to be good, compassionate, and moral people. To quote the Dalai Lama: "If you want to be happy, practice compassion. If you want others to be happy, practice compassion."
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:18 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Of course I teach my children these things. Just because we don't believe in God doesn't mean we don't respect ourselves or others. We are just good people who are nonbelievers.
    Anonymous

• I'm agnostic... and to answer your question religion or lack of is no guarantee for morals. :) Yes, we teach our children morals. Be nice to others. Be polite - say please and thank you. Don't be selfish. My husband and I are monogamous. As for sex.. I probably won't push for my kids to wait until they are married - but I will encourage them to be selective on who they are intimate with and use protection. I also won't stress cursing as terrible, but to understand that there is a time and place, and there are more intelligent ways to express yourself. I'm adamantly against any kind of illegal drug use(personally).. and I loathe excess drinking - so again I will teach my kids to make intelligent choices and use moderation. *shrug* I don't think morals has anything to do with being religious or not.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I am not a religious person. I do not believe in organized religion, that does not mean I do not believe in God. I just do not feel that there is a certain place you need to go to pray and worship. I do not go to church, my family does not go to church but we do believe in God. I teach my children all of the things you mentioned. My belief is that going to church does not make you a better person. All that matters is how you live your life and how you treat others.
    jordanmarie2000

Answer by jordanmarie2000 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• OP here-I know my friend is atheist and has taught her children much of the above. I have a friend who claims to be religious and says her kids can smoke pot and she gets drunk often and sleeps around. I’m not saying your bad people if you’re not religious. I’m just saying do you teach all of the above and why. Ya know they only give you so many spaces to ask.
    Anonymous

• So, you're asking -- if I am understanding this -- why we teach our children morals if we don't believe in a religion? Kind of like.. the only reason to do the right thing is because of a fear of losing the magic cookie? (I don't mean this in a negative way) I teach my children to be good people because it's the right thing to do. I don't have to be rewarded for it, or punished for not doing it to WANT to be a good person. Helping others makes me *feel* good, making someone smile - makes me feel good. It's just in my nature. I value other people, and treating other people and myself with respect - I am instilling those same values into my kids.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:06 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• We are "religious" (for lack of a better term). We have made a decision to really protect our children's innocence. We do not watch or allow any movie PG-13 or over in our house, and even some other PG's we don't allow. We will very much encourage them to remain a virgin until married (hey, we both were and we know it's hard, but sooooo worth it; that's what we want for our kids), we will not allow cursing, or backtalk, and we are doing our best to instill in them basic morals and values. We aren't perfect, but we are doing our best.
    MommyWantsAGirl

Answer by MommyWantsAGirl at 12:10 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I'm not religious...I'm just Christian and I'm going to answer anyways.

Reguardless of your faith, children will make poor choices. The children out doing these things are not all from athiest families. Just because I'm a Christian and am teaching my kids good morals and values, it doesn't mean they won't grow up to swear or smoke cigs.

I DO believe that the lack of God in our society is causing problems, but it's not fair to say that it's only happening in the families of non-believers.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Most of the things you list contribute to the smooth working of society, a healthy life, and a productive life. Why wouldn't any parent teach these things? Religiion, calling these things horrible sins, just increases the penalty for doing them (or not doing them as the case may be).
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• " Such as don’t have sex until married? "

Haven't crossed that bridge yet, but that;'s what he'll hear.

"Not to lie? Not to steal?"

Done.

"Not to watch demonic or scary things?"

Demonic is in the eye of the beholder...some think Harry Potter is demonic but it's one of our favorites here. Scary? I don't *have* to teach him that...mine turns the TV off at scary things on his own. Low tolerance level.

"Not to speak bad of others? Not to swear?"

Done.

"To respect others especially your elders?"

And done.

"Not to get drunk? Not to smoke cigarettes or pot or do drugs? "

Heh heh...he's the biggest temperance crusader I've ever met...learned at public school. Red Ribbon Week seems to be working here.

I don't need religion to teach any of these things...most of them are based in good old common sense,

Answer by gdiamante at 1:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2009