Did you ever read "The Prince" by Machiavelli???

What did you think of it???

LexsMami

Asked by LexsMami at 11:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I love, Love, LOVE this book.

It is timeless - just amazing. It's truly one of those books that you read and then you look around and you say "WOW". Somebody more than four hundred years ago figured it out.

Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:30 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Many many many years ago in college. It's on my list of "things I really should read again sometime" along with "The Great Gatsby" (which I had trouble with), "A Farewell To Arms" (which I recall liking but I don't remember) and "The Catcher in the Rye" (which I hated and I want to see if I've become more amenable to it).

Answer by gdiamante at 12:55 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I am reading it for a class and I am so bored with it! I guess because its the way the translator put it, but it seems like all he is really doing is kissing the ass of the Medici prince. I'm sure I will appreciate it more after I am finished reading it ( I am half-way through right now).
    LexsMami

Answer by LexsMami at 1:08 AM on Jan. 19, 2009