Who is Struggling in this economy?

Is your husband working? How are you handeling this terrible economy? do you have any tips for those who need money?

nma928

Asked by nma928 at 11:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• Budget, eat out less, By in bulk and store food.
    Wassybear

Answer by Wassybear at 12:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Both of us are working, but we're still trying to overcome my period of unemployment last year.

What we do: No eating out any more, store brand products, collecting on recycling ourselves rather than giving it to the school, loads of coupons, shopping sales, lots of homemade everything (I cook and bake through weekends now), no more going to the movies for anything but special films, more diligence in turning off lights, reduction in water use.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Oh.

And you can do great things with ramen noodles. Just don't use the flavor packets.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• We have been hit very hard and struggling. We have to go to food pantry's, but one is once a month and the other is once a week. Sometimes they run out of food. It's very humbling, but I've met the sweetest people there.
    Everything is home made and cooked from scratch for the most part. I would love to buy in bulk, but that costs money. We make sure we get healthy food and keep up with that because we can't afford to get sick, or to have all these unhealthy meals.
    I patch up our clothes, we get some help from family off and on, but they too are struggling, and I feel bad to even accept it once in awhile.
    shiningsoul

Answer by shiningsoul at 1:48 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I am lucky to say that no me and my famiy have not been hit by the economy. My husband is not in fear of being laid off neither am I due to the type of work we both do. Our companies major business comes from Grocery stores (printing lables and printing tax books and god knows the govt wants our tax money LOL) Now we were struggling up until October of last yr a lil bit but my husbands company gave him a 4.00 raise in order to keep him and I started working with him so I cane honestly say now no we are not feeling it. I feel for those who are and know what its like to live for Thursdays or Fridays and to know that even then the money isnt enough.

chaseethan2617

Answer by chaseethan2617 at 2:03 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• We were hit, but we're starting to bounce back.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Everyone I know is taking some kind of a hit. I don't have a husband to rely on, it's all on me to take care of me and my 2 girls. You can follow the old stand by suggestions, budget, coupons, etc... for me it came down to more income. I work part time at home to suppliment my income and as a back up in case I lose my day job. PM me if you want the co. name I work for.

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Is your husband working? Yes, he was recently promoted and we are relocating. He got a 40 percent raise.

How are you handeling this terrible economy? very well. We are building a new home and will pay cash for the construction. We paid cash for the land.

do you have any tips for those who need money? Don't have a cellphone, cut out cable, internet and have a basic home phone usually only 20 bucks or less a month, make sure the heat is not cranked in the winter, cook from scratch with seasonal ingredients, bake bread, don't buy soda, chips, and other processed crap, play board games at home as a family, go for walks when it is warmer out for entertainment. Learn the difference between an actual need and a want.
    Anonymous

• Nobody's Working, He Is On Unemployment For The Time Being. Things Are Hard And We Are Not Handling Things Well. We Are About To Start Going To The Food Banks.
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 8:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• PLan out your meals and use the coupons and before you go to the grocery store look at whats on sale like chicken or bread and stock up especially when it is 99 cents .Shop at markets where you pack your own food .You will save alot.I have not been affected thank god,but my heart goes out to you if you have.I would love to help you though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 AM on Jan. 21, 2009