Bathtime blues....

so you would have thought that i told my two year old i was going to take all his toys away and throw them out when it comes to bath time cause i will tell him it is time to take a bath and he screams to the top of his lungs and throws a fit witch he dosent nomaly do. i have done thing from letting him use bath crayons to bubble to new toys to actually siting in there with him and the only thing i can do to get him in there for only a min or two is to have sissy get in first and than let him ask to be in.

EliAlysiasmommy

Asked by EliAlysiasmommy at 10:53 AM on Feb. 20, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DS has Asperger's and Bath time used to be a night mare. Mostly the hair washing. He HATED the feeling of the water being poured over his head. My solution. A chart. He earned a sticker for every bath he took that he did not scream or run. He was allowed to cry but not fight. Once he had 10 stickers he could go the store and buy a toy for $5. Eventually we weaned off of the sticker chart. He now takes showers which he likes much better. I think it is the control factor in it... I'm not sure. He still to this day hates for water to be poured over his head.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:56 AM on Feb. 20, 2012

• If that is what you have to do then do it!!! My DD loves bath time. She gets down from the table and runs for the tub. She finishes getting naked and climbs right in. Just make it as fun as possible and let him try to enjoy it. If that means letting his sister get in and then him wanting to join her then so be it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:57 AM on Feb. 20, 2012

• yeah i tried a shower with him and i tried doing it like every other day so he knew when it was comming and it dident work but i could try something like a stiker chart
    EliAlysiasmommy

Comment by EliAlysiasmommy (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Feb. 20, 2012

• Try the change one thing approach...like add a cool non slip bathmat with fun characters on it. I was having a hard time w dd taking baths and tried one new or different thing per bath time till we found a mix that worked. Also try blowing bubbles! They aren't too messy since hes in the bath and it might just be different enough to break the cycle. Good luck!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:06 AM on Feb. 20, 2012

• My son was scared of water and I had to bath him while he wore goggles, somtimes a snorkel and at times, even water wings. He bathed wearing goggles til he was 4. Blowing bubbles in teh bath was always a big hit, and I alwatys stocked up on clearance bath toys from teh dollar store to try to get him interested.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 11:11 AM on Feb. 20, 2012

• They make these shower visors for kids to keep the water out of their face but you can still wash their hair.  Here's the link:

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=536715

robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 11:26 AM on Feb. 20, 2012

• Does he get too hot or cold for his liking? My 2 year old went through a sudden phase where he would just scream and scream and desperately claw to get away from the bath... finally got him to say that he thought the water was too cold (I thought it was okay be apparently he wanted hot water). Once we adjusted the temp and convinced him to try it, he's back to liking baths again.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:12 PM on Feb. 20, 2012

• My DD was like that, until one of shower heads was replaced with one that has the handle on it, so you can hold it abd direct the water to where ever. And now that she can use it on herself, I don't have any problem with her taking showers, or getting her hair washed
    dorkish_face

Answer by dorkish_face at 3:41 AM on Feb. 21, 2012

• If putting her in there works, then do that. At least you found something that works. For a while my youngest wouldn't get in unless her brothers was in there with her - no biggie. she 18 months and he's 3, they still enjoy bathing together more than bathing separately.

Answer by missanc at 9:16 AM on Feb. 21, 2012

• thank you for all your ideas anyone is still welcome to post if they have any ideas
    EliAlysiasmommy

Comment by EliAlysiasmommy (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2012