what do chickenpox look like

ok so around Christmas time a friend came down with shingles and we were at her house and didn't know it. well tonight my oldest son broke out in a hives looking type rash. is this how it starts out? i have no idea since i have never had them before, i really need to know because i have a premature son and from what his doctor said he could get it really bad. please leave me a message if you have any idea what is going on.

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 12:11 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Here's a great article on how long it takes to catch them and what it looks like:
    http://dermatology.about.com/cs/chickenpox/a/chickenpox.htm
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Chicken pox look small raised red dots. I'd keep your baby away from older brother until you can have a Dr. Look at the rash.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:15 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It's not possible to get chicken pox from shingles... and even if you could, Christmas time is too long ago to have them now the incubation period is about 10 days.
    They usually start with some cold symptoms (because it's a respiratory infection) and then get small blister like spots, usually starting on the trunk and face... Not like hives. And then they scab over.
    SO I would give your oldest some Benadryl because if it's hives it's prbably an allergic reaction to something.
    And I would still keep your infant away from your older son incase it's another type of rash.. and if it's still there in the morning take your oldest in to be looked at.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:35 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• AmiJane is wrong.
    As you know, shingles and chicken pox are the same virus. If your child was exposed to someone with active shingles, he may catch chicken pox.
    http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/chicken_pox.html

And the incubation period for chicken pox is anywhere from 9 to 21 days. So while you are at the far edge of that range, it is still possible.

Definently try to keep your baby isolated and take your son to the doctor tomorrow.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• ok ladies i found out what it was and it was not chicken pox thank goodness
    he got into his dads 80 hour energy spray and this happened that last time also, thanks for all of the great answers. you stopped me from freaking out.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:48 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I know they are the same virus but they don't spread the same way! And I'll take my info from my education as a pedicatrics nurse rather than an online source!
    Unless you are going to put your mouth on the shingles and some how breath in the virus from their skin... which I don't think you could even do.. you can't get chickenpox from a person with shingles!
    Besides that, I double checked my info with a pediatrician when my son was exposed to shingles a couple of months ago.. and she said it wasn't possible also!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:49 AM on Jan. 19, 2009