How to co-sleep without crushing baby!

I am due in July and my boyfriend and I really want to co sleep with our little one when he or she comes. I'm wondering if I'll have to do something like a bassinet next to the bed....I'd rather have him or her in the bed though, as I plan to breastfeed. Any suggestions/advice from successful co sleeping mommies?

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They have a basket to put in between you and your partner in the bed. I co-slept with both of my babies because of breastfeeding. Always remember they can fall of the bed or in between the bed and wall or headboard. I sleep on my stomache and dont roll so I would wrap my arm around the baby and they were fine. Both are strong and going this day. Good luck.
    heatherlyn84

Answer by heatherlyn84 at 12:22 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Check this out http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3069590 I caught hell from my drs. about co-sleeping with my oldest so I bought on of these for my other 2.
    tsa_momma

Answer by tsa_momma at 12:25 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Since the link isnt working copy and paste it.
    tsa_momma

Answer by tsa_momma at 12:26 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I have a 3 month old she sleeps in bed with me and her dad. I sleep really light so i knew i could do it. It is so easy to breast feed when they are in bed with you. There is times i was so tired i would fall asleep with her on my breast. When she would wake up she would just find it and eat. I had it easy when she came home. Try to breastfed as long as you can. It hurts some times make sure you have the cream for you boobs. I had got creaked nipples and that hurts. There was time i would just cry while she fed
    momil

Answer by momil at 2:07 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It's not a good idea to co sleep.That causes other problems in the future (like-how do i get my child to go to sleep by them self or on their own) I had my son in a bassinet next to my bed , you do have tired nights, but that's part of it. You should also rub your breastmilk on your nipples after each time you nurse and let it air dry. My son didn't like the cream and i think its gross to have them nurse while you have cream on. Breastmilk will help them heal (it has antibodies in it). It's so nice because from the beginning i didn't make my son dependent on me to rock him to sleep or (don't let him nurse to sleep-you should read the BABY WISE book) . He's 6 months old now and he goes to sleep by him self when i give him a pacifire and blanket.
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 2:47 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• i breastfeed and cosleep,,i sleep on my side facing her,and i rotate her a few times a night and switch sides with her,she sweats and so i can change postions also.just make sure u feed him from both breast .
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:11 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I became a very light sleeper after bringing baby home... I felt every little movement and barely got any sleep... we ended up putting her in a bassinet next to the bed because I was dead tired and my b/f had worked with a couple who co slept with their baby and had sufficated it while sleeping (very sad) During the days when dads at work and I'm home I often nap with her when we have more room in the bed and its a shorter period of time... so we still get that cosleeping bond at times. Really all you can do is try it out and see how you two do with it. It works for some people and it doesn't for others, just do whatever you feel comfortable with and don't force anything. By forcing it you will just stress yourself out. And if it doesn't work out don't be upset about it. All people find different ways to bond with baby.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 8:54 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Buy a sleep positioner
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My daughter is 2 and she's slept in bed with me since day 1. It's a fantastic way to do it! They're great little snuggle bugs, and it's always a great way to start the day with a little baby face with a big smile in your face!! You won't crush your child! People are freaking cwazy! That's the way it was done for years and years before America thought scientists could parent better than a mothers intuition. And it's the best way to do breastfeeding. You don't have to get up, go to their room, sit in a chair, nurse your child, put them back to sleep, and then zombie walk back to your bed. You can just wake up for a tiny second to start nursing your baby, and then fall back to sleep. You don't lose sleep this way! I think it's a great choice!
    PosterOfAGirl

Answer by PosterOfAGirl at 10:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• personally, i am a big fan of co-sleeping. not only does it allow you to get more sleep but it also forms an amazing bond between you, baby and father.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2009