I was wondering if any mothers had any advice on GI Disorders. My son was diagnosed with colic at 3 weeks but he is still having the same gassy/stomach issues and he is almost 8 months. They have ran many test on him (all negative), and he doesnt have his first appt. with a GI specilist until next month. I am in need of some advice to help my baby boy who seems to be in so much pain. Any advice or mothers experiencing anything like this??

Momof2boys20078

Asked by Momof2boys20078 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

• I was nursing my son and didn't find out until he was 9 months old that he was wheat intollerant. He would spit up constantly and couldn't hold down a cracker, cookie or anything with wheat in it. I had to cut wheat out of my diet too before he got better.
    ArtC

Answer by ArtC at 5:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My son had a lot of problems and was labeled "colicky" by his physician. She said it would go away and would not do anything to help us. I eliminated dairy from my diet and he was better. Soy and dairy and wheat are HUGE allergies. He is still pretty fussy, but he is a high-needs/spirited baby.
    I hope they find out what the problem is. Please send me a message if you have any questions or need any help!
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 11:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Try Chiropractics. I know that this may sound scary especially for your 8 month old baby, but I know from experience that it works better than any medicine a MD could/would use. It won't hurt your baby in any way and it may even be a faster "cure" than traditional medicine. Anyway, just a thought.
    Anonymous

• Certainly consider allergies, as the other moms mentioned. Another possibility is reflux, or GERD. GERD can occur when the muscle that is supposed to close off the stomach from the upper tract is weak, so some stomach acid can leak upwards. This condition can be diagnosed through an endoscopic exam, where the doctor would look for signs of irritation in your child's esophagus.
    My son has reflux- he is successfully treated with Zantac, a liquid medicine that reduces the acidity of the stomach fluid. It is also helpful to keep him upright or at least only slightly reclined for a while after eating. He is doing great- hope all is better for your little one.
    CharlieBoysMom

Answer by CharlieBoysMom at 9:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Could be lactose tolerent. My son was so I gave him soy based formula and I also gave him Mylanta. It worked wonders!!!!
    Rhonda35

Answer by Rhonda35 at 3:42 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Have you tried boiling a bay leaf or two in water, then drain the water into his bottle or cup after it has cooled? It is an old-fshioned remedy, but it might help.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 3:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• My son has g i issues but he was born with esophageal atresia so it has to do with his esophagus his stomach and everything reflux and air in his tummy and alot more so he has a bunch of issues its not just colic but formulas are a trick and a half hoow does he go to the bath room? our son never went right and then he got put on a supplement that made a huge diference
    kaylapearson

Answer by kaylapearson at 12:13 AM on Sep. 24, 2008