How can I get my 3 month old baby to go to sleep on her own?

I can not get my three month old to sleep on her own. She hates her co-sleeper, won't take a pacifer and will not go to sleep by herself. She will scream for up to an hour and a half until I have had enough and give in and give her my boob!!! I really need some suggestions. She will sleep at night but only if she is in our bed and if I am my breastich is with her. PLEASE HELP!!

LMNagovskiy

Asked by LMNagovskiy at 12:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's too early to expect much else, I'm afraid. There's a sleep article on drjaygordon.com that will help you...but at three months it's growth spurt time and she will want to be at the breast constantly.

Don't let her scream, don't consider yourself "giving in." These night feedings are still essential. Don't expect her to go to sleep by herself for a long long time. It CAN happen in the first year, but often doesn't...no matter how you feed.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:45 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I loved that I could use the breast as a sedative, but at the same time I understand how incredibly difficult it can be to NEVER have a moment to yourself!! All I can say is Mama, it will all be different soon, I KNOW ITS HARD, but these babies . . well they don't care about our free time or our hygiene or even bathroom needs (so frustrating sometimes>>we don't want to abandon them . . . just pee or poo . . DAMN IT!!) I understand it all . . . but time will pass I promise . .. it will all change soon!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• If she's taking the boob she might just be hungry. TRy putting her down shortly after feeding her so she'll be full and happy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• You should read the BABY WISE book. It was very helpful for me. You should feed her until she is full keep her awake and then put her to sleep. If you do this cycle (over and over-all day) she will be able to go to sleep by herself. The key is to not have her fall asleep while eating or she will become dependent on that. And also make sure she had a full feeding so that you know she won't be hungry. you can rock her until she's 70% sleepy and then lay her down so she will learn to comfort herself and put herself to sleep. I did this with my son and he goes to sleep with his pacifier and blanket by himself, it may take a little while but sometimes they do have to cry it out-but only if nothing is wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• YOu should NOT read the babywise book.. This is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad advice!!!!

What you SHOULD do is realize that she is a BABY!!!!
    Why do you want her to fall asleep without you?
    What is wrong with co-sleeping?
    And what is wrong with giving her breast?

Welcome to the wonderful world of parenting.

If you're worried about "giving in" to loving and providing for your child, then it's time to re-evaluate what you thought parenting would be like, and what you expect out of it.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:10 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Lol okay my 3 month old broke so easily of this... for starters we put her in her own room (which I had trouble with but it worked well) and I would make sure she was fed shortly before she usually would fall asleep and changed and then I would just lay her in her bed... if she cried I let her for a few minutes and then I'd go in there and play with her hair and talk to her, or sing... but with out picking her up. We also bought a thing that plays music and puts lights on the ceiling so she could watch something, and also have used blinking Christmas lights. It took three nights and she was started falling asleep on her own and also sleeping through the night. To bad it doesn't work for nap time to. But thats what worked for our baby at 3 months!!! Good luck and be patient!

dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 8:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My daughter is almost 4 months, I am not breast feeding but I was going through the same thing 3 weeks ago. My daughter would only fall asleep after a feeding, would wake up through out the night wanting food, comfort, me, etc....I learned to feed her at bedtime, but put her down while she was sleepy not totally sleeping. I would keep my hand on her chest while she totally fell asleep, each night I stayed with her less and less. Your baby may still need feedings throughout the night since you are breast feeding but soon she will be okay when she wakes in the middle of the night and fall asleep on her own. Hope this helps - Good luck!
    stacey928

Answer by stacey928 at 9:13 AM on Jan. 19, 2009