How do I know she is getting anything or enough?

Well she obviously isnt getting enough because when sh eid done she still eats a 1-2oz bottle.

Ok my 2wks old daughter is breastfeeding. But...when she is done eating for me she still wants a bottle. I will feed her til she doesnt seem interested anymore which is about 30-45min total. She is gaining weight fine. I just dont want to give her a bottle but i cant let her be hungry. and she always seems hungry after. I make a lot of milk i mean I have to change my pads every hour. what i do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you making her stop nursing or does she stop on her own? if she is stopping on her own, then she is probably full and you shouldn't need to give her a bottle. If she still seems hungry, offer her the breast again.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• If she is having enough diapers and gaining then she is getting enough!
    Just because she will take the bottle doesn't mean she still is hungry. I don't know how you are breastfeeding... but I would feed her on one breast, then when she thinks she is done or slows down like she isn't drinking.. .take her off, burp her, put her on the SAME breast so she gets the rich hind milk.. when she seems done on that side offer the other side until she seems done.
    When she is done.. skip the bottle. Offer a finger or pacifier, because she might just want to suck.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Well if she's still hungry after she nurses, it's fine to nurse her some more!! She doesnt need the bottle. Your body is ALWAYS making milk, so your breasts are NEVER empty.

How do you know she's getting enough? First of all, stop giving her the bottles, this way you'll know that she IS getting enough from breastfeeding. Count wet/poopy diapers. If she's having 6+ wet diapers a day and a BM at least every 10 days, then she's getting enough! Breastfed babies can safely go 10 days without pooping and be just fine!

Infants like to nurse ALL the time for the first couple months, and that's okay, this, like every other phase, will pass, and you'll be so glad you stuck with it!! Possibly you'll even miss it :) Nurse on demand, count diapers, and stop giving bottles, and your good to go!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:54 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• She stops on her own. I do offer it to her but she just moves her mouth around on it she wont latch. but when I offer her the bottle she sucks on it right after I give it to her and dont stop til i take it awake to burp her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I do offer her the paci she just screams with it she dont like them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Stop offering her the bottle. A baby WONT starve themselves, and if the breast is their only option of eating, they will nurse. They PREFER the bottle because it is easier. So stop giving it to her and the problem should fix itself :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:00 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Oh I forgot! Babies have growth spurts at 2 weeks!! That could be your problem! Still no need to give her the bottle, just keep offering the breast. Dont FORCE it, that will cause negative association with breastfeeding, just nurse on demand.

Trust your body hon!! It's MADE to do this!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:04 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• She doesn't NEED the bottle...but she'll take it if offered, just like I'll take a whole chocolate cake if you let me!

Count dipes count dipes count dipes. 6-8 per day means she's getting enough.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:51 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• You're doing the right thing. The most important thing is that your child is fed adequately. If your breast isn't doing that than offering the bottle is the smartest choice. You can't let a baby go hungry just because she won't nurse. Babies won't eat more than they want/need. If she's drinking that much from the bottle then she needs it. You don't want a malnourished baby. If you'd like try pumping during the time she's eating the formula to help your supply and keep trying the breat.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 1:54 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• btw a lot of moms aren't able to nurse because of their supply and/or a lot of others reasons and a lot of babies don't get the hang of nursing. So even though our bodies are made to do it, it doesn't mean they always will. Heck, my body is supposed to poop daily, but I only go once every three days. Go figure. Don't starve your baby just so you can nurse.

I am a breast feeding mom and I think it's great- but if my baby needed formula I would give it to her.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 1:56 AM on Jan. 19, 2009