what special things should i do to help make my son's first birthday memorable.. even if it means pictures.

I have planned a barbeque and inviting friends and family to our house.. what fun things should we do for a first birthday. The kids are all around 1 so there will be a lot of adults.. do i gear it towards them or just focus on the kids?

proudtxmom22

Asked by proudtxmom22 at 12:55 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Holidays

• Focus on the kids and have very low expectations.

At one, the party is more for everyone that loves your son and not so much for him.

Keep it low key and work around his schedule. Don't make a big deal of opening presents, just let him play with his favorite people.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:06 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I agree with Wimsey...At his age he can become overwhelmed very easily and get stressed out from all the 'to-do' about him. Just let him do what he wants and play with what he wants because he's probably not going to be too interested in opening presents and playing games...
    ariel_n

Answer by ariel_n at 1:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I would make sure they have a play area... but like above, don't expect too much out of them.. let them have their fun, but make sure to take time out of the day where they can have some quiet time as well, so they aren't overwhelmed.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I would have some kiddie music for about an hour, play the hokie pokie, limbo, itsty bitsy spider, old mc donald, and face painting. maybe have an area where all the children can play and maybe make something, even though ur baby is small u can play with him . Dance with him , read a book to him. & have some one take lots of good pictures. Hope it helps♥♥
    NiekaC

Answer by NiekaC at 6:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• One fun thing we did with both children when they turned one: made a special individual-sized cake for the birthday child and sat it on the high chair tray, sang happy birthday, and let them do what they wanted! One kinda poked it with her finger and didn't want to get messy. The other literally stuck her face into it to take a bite! Pictures of this were hilarious!

I'm not sure how many one-year-olds will be there, (and it has been a long time since mine were that age) but I'm not sure they quite know how to play anything at this time. Two is more fun b/c they will all be walking and mischevious at this age. At one, some aren't even walking yet, so I wonder if organized play is too much? We mostly invited family and close friends and my oldest was the first child among them all so there weren't any other kids.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 10:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2009