as a single mom how do you make sure your son will have respect for women

I am raising a child currently without the father in his life. his father did not repect women obviosly, and i myself never had a father in my life. what are some suggstions on stopping the cycle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm also a single mom raising a boy and the first thing I learned about teaching respect is SHOWING respect to my son so that he knows what it looks like. Additionally, I'm a firm believer in teaching him to respect everyone - man, woman and child - we are all precious gifts from God, even if you don't like the other person. So teach him what respect is by showing him what respect is and when he disrespects you, just remind him to use his manners and be respectful.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I'm no longer a single mother but when I was I made sure that my son always knew who was boss (I was a bit of a drill sergeant). I taught him that hitting girls was a big no no and to this day he will not only refrain from hitting little girls but children who are smaller than him as well, even if he is hit first. I taught him to always use his words and I made sure he always respected me b/c respect for your mother is key in learning to respect women in general. Be strong so he will have a first hand example of a woman knowing her worth. Just make sure he always knows that you are to be respected and women are beautiful for who they are not what they look like b/c external beauty fades. Good luck:)
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 1:06 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• my mom was in the same boat my brother who was in the army for 10 yrs still treats women like they are just a peice of meat. tell him that girls, ladies and women are gifts from god and you need to treat them like gold
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• And if you show him respect , he will respect you and in return respect women. Most men (not all) will treat a woman good if he treats his mother well and he will turn out to be a good man if you just show him love, respect and good morals.. This is not saying that it always happens, but, most of the time it does.In order to be respected you have to give.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:42 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I raised my older kids alone. There was a man from our church who took them under their wing. Also teach him that women are to be respected. If you beelive int he Bible then show him what the Bible says about how to treat a woman and a wife.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• If he shows you respect, he will respect other women. You need to spend time talking with him about it openly and honestly. It would be great if there were a christian man who could "mentor" him. Be careful though because lots of people profess to be christians and they don't have the first clue what that means in the biblical sense...they just use the word. If he is disrespectful in anyway to you, that is a good indicator as to how he will treat other women. Good luck. My husband has taken a few of the kids from church "under his wing" and they have changed so much. I am enjoying seeing them grow up and change and even though he is strict on them, they flock to him. One of the boys even has a bio-dad and a step dad and neither one really does anything with him. That's sad to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Also, I worked for a women with 2 boys. She had gotten divorced and felt like it was her "duty" to raise the boys herself and not date, etc. She inadvertantly raised 2 "momma's boys" who don't know how to do anything "manly". They were never made to do things that would teach them how to be husband's one day and now as adults they are still like 2 goofy kids who need their momma to "handle it". They are lost little puppies. It was like she spent their childhood "making it up to them" because they didn't have a dad. I see where she thought she was doing right, but it failed miserably.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• First off, I would like to say KUDOS to all the moms who answered because their answers are AWESOME. Also, do you have a brother, a close uncle or trusted male friend, someone who is a positive and respectful to be a "role model"?. And I've heard some women say that "it takes a MAN to teach young boys to be a MAN" but I don't really agree because my mother raised my brother and I as a single mom and my brother turned out great and has the utmost respect for women. In fact, he still opens the door for women, buys flowers for his GF and has helped my SO and I reinforce to my son that women are to be respected and appreciated. And ,most importantly,  children model what they see and if he sees the men in your life treating you with respect, he''ll follow suit. So, I say keep doing what you're doing because you're doing a great job by asking for advice and I'm sure your son will be OK. Hope this helps some.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I HAVE THREE KIDS, TWO GIRLS AND MY BOY WHO IS 10 YEARS APART FOM THEM. THE ONE SENTENCE I WOULD USE OVER AND OVER WAS THIS: "ALWAYS TREAT WOMEN THEY WAY YOU WOULD LIKE OTHERS TO TREAT YOUR MOTHER AND SISTERS" HE HAS GROWN UP WITH A LOT OF RESPECT FOR WOMEN.

Answer by older at 5:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2009