What do contractions feel like?

I've been having sharp and constant pains all over my belly and in my back. Sometimes the back pain is so bad that it makes me cry. My belly pain feels like a tugging and sharp twinges. Could this be contractions or something else??

moms1stprincess

Asked by moms1stprincess at 1:00 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• sounds like ti if it happens 6 times in an hour that could mean labor and you should go to the dr asap
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I'm only 26 weeks though. Could it really be labor? or just braxton hicks? and how do you time them? It's my first pregnancy so I am at a loss for what a contraction even is
    moms1stprincess

Answer by moms1stprincess at 1:03 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• most likely braxton hicks im abut to be 26 weeks myself and im in pain all the time and it is just killer i get it in my back sides stomach if your stomach goes hard then its a contraction if not then its probably ligament pain but still as i said before if it happens 6 times in an hour get to a dr fast because even being 26 weeks it could be contractions and that would be bad if youhad your baby now
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:14 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• If it's constant, It's probably not contractions. It sounds like you may have a pulled groin muscle. I had the same thing and it felt like what you are describing. Contractions come and go. Your uterus will get really tight and then, when it's over loosen up again. Just to be safe, call your doctor and see what he thinks.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:18 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Thing is ladies, my doctor isn't in till wednesday. I called the after hours number and I got a lady who only spoke to me in random spurts of english. Half the time I didn't know what language she was speaking. My belly, mostly by my pelvic bone and the sides, feels really tight and i'm having back pain and pain in my belly.
    moms1stprincess

Answer by moms1stprincess at 1:22 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• lol i feel ya on that i never understand my after hours person either
    i honestly think it sounds like braxton hicks they will make your stomach hard too how often ? if it makes you feel bettter then head over to your labor and delevery have them check you i knwo i would better safe then sorry right >
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:26 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I haven't been timing them. Do you time them when you feel pain or when the pain is bad? I have no idea how to time them lol
    moms1stprincess

Answer by moms1stprincess at 1:28 AM on Jan. 19, 2009