PreSchooler with a cold should I wake and give motrin ? He has a fever

My little guy went to bed tonight adn I knew he dindt feel good hes been rolling around and getting his face in snot, well he woke a bit ago and was crying, he went back to sleep but he has a temp of 101.5 - I gave motrin at 8pm - what should I do, do I wake him and give more ??

bullynj

Asked by bullynj at 1:51 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If his fever is still that high, I would wake him and give him more. If it has started to go down at all, let him sleep. I hope he feels better.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It hasnt been that high - when I put him to bed it was just 99 - so I gave him a little motrin to help him sleep, it didnt help and hes been sleeping terribly.... he finally woke himself up enough to gag and trya nd get sick, thats what happens when he has a cold ....anyway, he is sleeping soundly for the first time since 9pm tonight only problem is hes on our sofa in the family room - - but I dont want to wake him because hes going to freak out dont want to upset him ... but I think he needs something to take the fever down
    bullynj

Answer by bullynj at 1:57 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• i just took his temp and of course now its at 103 - I gave him motrin and on the last dose he gagged and spit some of it up ... I dont know how much got into his system and dont want to go and give him more since I dont kno what got into him Hopefully in 30 min or so I should see a decrease in temp poor guy
    bullynj

Answer by bullynj at 2:34 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• How are you taking his temp? If under the arm...if he's been bundled up in blankets sleeping, the temp will be off....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I would make an appointment to see the pediatrician today. Fevers over 100 degrees usually need to be seen to rule out infection. The fever is a sign that his body is trying to fight off infection or a virus.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 9:39 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Remember - you give Motrin every EIGHT hours. So if he had some at 8pm, he can't have more until 4am. It's probably a good thing he spit some up at 11:30.

Here are the rules for fevers for everyone over 12 months:
    Use medicines, cool baths (not cold baths), and cold drinks to keep a fever under 102.5.
    If a fever hits 103 three days in a row, see the doctor.
    If a fever hits 103 and won't come down with treatment, see the doctor.
    If a fever hits 104, call the doctor ASAP.
    If a fever hits 104.5, go to the ER.
    Keep a chart of what his fever is, how you took the temperature, and what meds you gave. When you are sleepy or upset, it can help keep you from overdosing him and ending up in the ER with an unconscious child.
    You can alternate Motrin and Tylenol every 4 hours. Note that this means the doses of Motrin are still 8 hours apart.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• A fever is his bodies way of fighting off some bug. Forcing his body to drop this defense simply makes it harder for him to get well. If he is in pain or you want to make him more comfortable for the night, then it's OK to give him pain meds to help with the pain. But NEVER give pain meds to simply lower an already low fever.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I would wake him and give it to him. He is likely to go right back to sleep and stay asleep. The rest will do him good.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 12:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2009